COMPLETE: RISD 15West

The ribbon-cutting for the RISD Library was today. Here are some photos:

Ah, Brilliant! Thank You!

Wow. I like so much of that library. I do still think those study carols (maybe the whole color/surface of the step thing?) are some of the ugliest things I have ever seen. That is unfortunate. I love the center area, and wish I could have seen more of that with glass and so forth for the "interventions." I'm not entirely sure how the circulation desk looks close-up, though. Did it seem mismatched to have the lighter wood, then the darker wood? In terms of accessibility, I wonder if the magazines will get used less, even though it is a nice area for them, up on the mezzanine. Is the reference desk hidden behind the low center wall?

But, everytime I look at those chairs and the shelf/wall in the centre, and the shelving units and that mezzanine, AH, I love it!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not entirely sure how the circulation desk looks close-up, though. Did it seem mismatched to have the lighter wood, then the darker wood?

I took a close up photo of it, but it was so blurry as to be useless. I think it's really the highlight of the whole space though. I agree the step area and the laptop cubbies are a bit weird. There's something insubstantial about the construction, it looks like if you lean on it it may fall. The style of the interventions is that of impermenance as if they were only resting amongst the historic character and could leave at anytime. They look like kit construction from IKEA, which maybe sounds bad, in the case of the circulation desk in comes off fabulously, the steps, not so much.

2006-0711-risdlib009.jpg

This photo shows best what I mean about the step area, see how it looks precarious, as if it is perfectly balanced and the slightest nudge could send it all crashing to the ground? It all works well, the function of it is great, but the look isn't quite right. Also below this area are I think, 4 little conference rooms. Good for a meeting or small study group. They're a bit claustrophic with low ceilings and no windows, but an interesting use of space.

2006-0711-risdlib010.jpg

This glass wall is the back of the step/stage area, and I just love it. I wish the theme could have been carried through the space more, as this is quite hidden from the center of the space. This particular section is a bridge leading from the upper area of the steps (where there are study tables scattered about) to the mezzanine, it's actually kind of fun walking over this bridge.

JWU is all wireless... I think that campus is spread more then RISD.

I think RISD is in the process of rebuilding all it's networks from the ground up, so wireless is at the end of that project of upgrading servers and such. There's also a lot of work being done across campus in relation to the Chace Center, a number of areas usage will change by the time the Chace Center is done.

I wonder if the magazines will get used less, even though it is a nice area for them, up on the mezzanine.

I think the magazines will be the most used section. The chairs and tables in the windows have stunning views of the river and the colleges canal buildings. People were sitting themselves down there. I can see staff being drawn to the library to sit and read after work, which I don't think really ever happened in the old library.

Is the reference desk hidden behind the low center wall?

I'm not sure where the reference desk is.

Yes, I think the step area could have been a great idea had it been implimented differently. I do like the back, and wish that could have carried through to the whole thing - the amount of light that using glass would have added to the space... They could have used the lighter wood, glass, maybe cement, and even had space for some sort of shelving/wall spaces in the back. Would've been great.

I'm not sure where the reference desk is.

Ooh, that chills my heart. It makes me laugh really hard, but I can't believe that wasn't thought of (the reference desk is in the right of one of the above pictures, the one with the centre area, then the step area, then...what is actually the oddly hidden reference desk.

Too often, libraries frustrate me. That mezzanine, though, is killer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I took a close up photo of it, but it was so blurry as to be useless. I think it's really the highlight of the whole space though. I agree the step area and the laptop cubbies are a bit weird. There's something insubstantial about the construction, it looks like if you lean on it it may fall. The style of the interventions is that of impermenance as if they were only resting amongst the historic character and could leave at anytime. They look like kit construction from IKEA, which maybe sounds bad, in the case of the circulation desk in comes off fabulously, the steps, not so much.

2006-0711-risdlib009.jpg

This photo shows best what I mean about the step area, see how it looks precarious, as if it is perfectly balanced and the slightest nudge could send it all crashing to the ground? It all works well, the function of it is great, but the look isn't quite right. Also below this area are I think, 4 little conference rooms. Good for a meeting or small study group. They're a bit claustrophic with low ceilings and no windows, but an interesting use of space.

2006-0711-risdlib010.jpg

This glass wall is the back of the step/stage area, and I just love it. I wish the theme could have been carried through the space more, as this is quite hidden from the center of the space. This particular section is a bridge leading from the upper area of the steps (where there are study tables scattered about) to the mezzanine, it's actually kind of fun walking over this bridge.

I guess I would have to be in the building, but I feel like it ruins the building not so much the first image, but the second image with the glass wall just seems really out of place... But I guess I should see it in person.

I walked down to Market Square last night to see Jenny Holzer's projection installation on 15 Westminster. It is quite dramatic.

Here's the Projo article with some background:

http://www.projo.com/art/content/artsun-ho...LV.27a5397.html

Tonight (Monday) it moves to City Hall (which should also be impressive) and Tuesday it will be projected in both locations. What is particularly interesting about the 15 Westminster projection is that it starts in the water and scrolls up along the riverbank and across Mem. Drive before crawling up the facade of 15 West. The water causes several reflections and mirror-images of the text to be thrown around, which is intriguing and mesmerizing. I recommend bringing a camera--which I didn't do--to capture a world-class artist installation in our fair city.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived