COMPLETE: GTECH Center

I think what gtech does is make waterplace park a little nicer, and with the new condos going up it makes it almost a little nicer which in turn hopefully leads to cleaning the river?

i like the idea that this park will be surrounded by buildings, making it more urban in feel. if only citizens will build on their parking lots.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a close-up looking up at the garage screens. I think these are not bad at all. I know they are receiving mixed opinions. I think they "mesh" well with the metal tube "awnings" here.

497yqmu.jpg

I actually like these a lot in daylight, but I really wish they weren't so transparent by night. Whether from Waterplace Park or Francis St., about the most prominent feature of the building at night is the brightly-lit garage ceiling.

I actually like these a lot in daylight, but I really wish they weren't so transparent by night. Whether from Waterplace Park or Francis St., about the most prominent feature of the building at night is the brightly-lit garage ceiling.

they shoudl've either used a tigher mesh or somehow made the horizontal lines on it angle upward to block the light from the street, but still giving it that look.

That will be 110 Westminster :shades::D

No offense, but One Ten doesn't hold a candle to the Industrial Trust Bldg in terms of originality, uniqueness, and architectural daring.

I say that, and I like 110. I like it a lot, in fact. But let's be realistic. The Superman Bldg is a one-of-a-kind, never seen before and never since, genuine artifact. Credit where credit is due, my friend.

I was walking around GTECH the other day and am happy to see they are using concrete rather than belgian pavers on their new walkways. Much better to walk on.

FIELD TRIP. meetchoo down there this week?

I'm gonna try to stop by Monday morning on the way to work. Maybe I'll try lunch. I'll send you a message if I plan to.

I say that, and I like 110. I like it a lot, in fact. But let's be realistic. The Superman Bldg is a one-of-a-kind, never seen before and never since, genuine artifact. Credit where credit is due, my friend.

I certainly like the Superman Building, but I don't think it's all that unique. Most rus-belt and northeast cities have a building in the same style from the same era. They are all unique from each other in design, but all very similar in style.

Some pictures as promised.

Thanks for posting your photos brick.

Your shots highlight the best qualities of this project. Specifically, I think the building is very successful in the way it meets the street/ground level. Lots of transparency, doesn't seem to be any "dead zones" and the building materials and design details are quite nice. I especially love the curved wall along the cove. :thumbsup:

Once you go past the ground floor however, it's starts getting a little shakey. I think the mesh is a great idea to help screen the garage but I hadn't thought about the problem of a lit up garage ceiling at night (which is unfortunate).

Apart from a few interesting reflections, the tower section is pedestrian. A more interesting mullion pattern or the addition of some other tint or texture or material within the curtain wall might have helped. I'd be curious to know what was considered and then jettisoned along the way.

I certainly like the Superman Building, but I don't think it's all that unique. Most rus-belt and northeast cities have a building in the same style from the same era. They are all unique from each other in design, but all very similar in style.

For one thing, I think you have to acknowledge the degree of differentiation between one art deco skyscraper and another is often great. Architects in those days were far more liberal with their creations than architects have been in any period since then. Yes the art deco towers share similar features, but they also exhibit a great deal of license. Only now are contemporary buildings starting to look again as different as they did in the late teens, '20's, and early '30's.

You can find plenty similarities between Levesque Tower and the Penobscot Bldg and the Superman Bldg, but in the end I think you have to acknowledge that each one is a separate, inspired creation. No pun intended.

For another thing, it's just my personal opinion, but the Superman Bldg features a better mix of heterogeneity and, at the same time, overall harmony than ... just about any of its peers. There are plenty that are more heterogenous (KC Power & Light, Guardian Bldg, the Fisher Building, Mather Tower, PacBell Bldg, the GE Bldg in Rockefeller Center) and some that are more harmonious (ESB, Chrysler, Foshay Tower, the Gulf Bldg, LA City Hall, KC City Hall), but I've looked around a bit, and I don't see too many buildings out there that are both at once, as Superman is.

Because of its crazy angles, the Industrial Trust Bldg is like having 6 or 7 completely different (all very good) skyscrapers. But no matter how many times or how many ways you look at it, it all comes together impressively in the end.

So you'll have to excuse me if I repeat myself. The Superman Bldg is an original. :wub:

Word.

I think the context of the building, the Zeppelin Room up top (which I've only seen pictures of), the massing, the materials - it is a magnificent building.

Sure there are lots of Art Deco buildings out there - I don't think that takes anything away from this building.

Apart from a few interesting reflections, the tower section is pedestrian. A more interesting mullion pattern or the addition of some other tint or texture or material within the curtain wall might have helped. I'd be curious to know what was considered and then jettisoned along the way.

This is what I like about the random panes of glass on the Waterplace side. I enjoy the way this sliver of disorder plays against the stark regularity of the rest of the facade.

I think the tower section could use a simple cornice of some sort. Maybe a scaled-down version of the metal awnings running along the top of the walls.

This is what I like about the random panes of glass on the Waterplace side. I enjoy the way this sliver of disorder plays against the stark regularity of the rest of the facade.

I think the tower section could use a simple cornice of some sort. Maybe a scaled-down version of the metal awnings running along the top of the walls.

i wish they'd put something up on that tower section and light it up!

Brick,

Thanks for the photos. Great stuff! It shows the interaction of G-Tech with the streetscape beautifully, and it's looking like quite a good interaction so far!

I just drove by G-Tech yesterday night and still find the Fidelity signage surprisingly prominent on the building, so much so that one could be forgiven for thinking it's the Fidelity building! I think that kind of signage is great for the city, through, especially coming right off 95, where it dramatically announces, as does the signage of the mall businesses, that this is a vibrant commercial environment.

yes, why isn't it up there yet???

I think the G-Tech signage only recently got approved by Zoning, at least it was only on the agenda recently. I'd have to go back and check.

I wonder too if it is subject to the same approval that the Masonic Temple hotel needed for their signage by the DOT as well, since all signage within x-number of feet of a state highway apparently needs DOT approval.

My guess is that the process is still ongoing and that they probably won't order a single piece of the sign until everything is done...

My question is why they'd only be working on these regulatory approvals now, at the end of the process, but that's me playing armchair quarterback...

- Garris

I think the G-Tech signage only recently got approved by Zoning, at least it was only on the agenda recently. I'd have to go back and check.

I wonder too if it is subject to the same approval that the Masonic Temple hotel needed for their signage by the DOT as well, since all signage within x-number of feet of a state highway apparently needs DOT approval.

My guess is that the process is still ongoing and that they probably won't order a single piece of the sign until everything is done...

My question is why they'd only be working on these regulatory approvals now, at the end of the process, but that's me playing armchair quarterback...

- Garris

you know... i think i remember that as well. and it does seem dumb that they'd wait so long. however, while i can see the masonic temple signage being possibly really thought over, the gtech signage would be mostly hidden from the highway by the mall, so it would seem to be a no brainer... although i imagine the state takes much longer to approve stuff than the city in general.

I went for a walk around Gtech and Waterplace yesterday, sadly enough that was my first time walking around waterplace park. From the looks of it they really need to clean that water, it looked like a garbage basket, cups and trash piled up in it, maybe if they water was flowing or something. I also noticed Waterplace Restaurant, is this place open year round? What a great location! I'm sure Gtech and the new Waterplace Towers will be great for their business, especially if they are not open all season. Has anyone been there? How is it?

I went for a walk around Gtech and Waterplace yesterday, sadly enough that was my first time walking around waterplace park. From the looks of it they really need to clean that water, it looked like a garbage basket, cups and trash piled up in it, maybe if they water was flowing or something. I also noticed Waterplace Restaurant, is this place open year round? What a great location! I'm sure Gtech and the new Waterplace Towers will be great for their business, especially if they are not open all season. Has anyone been there? How is it?

waterplace restaurant used to be called bella vista. it is open year round. i've heard mixed reviews.

the water from the river does flow. the problem is a lot of trash gets thrown in upstream and that's why it ends up in the basin. i'm sure once gtech is there and waterplace condos have residents, the whole area, including water, will be taken care of much better than it is now.

It is very low flow. Once it hits Providence the Woonasquatucket is basically a tidal river. This is why you get trash just kind of building up everywhere instead of flowing out to the Bay (which is a good and bad thing). There is a noticable difference in level based on tides in the Narragansett Bay. Compare this to say, the Blackstone/Seekonk river where the water level tends to follow rain patterns more or less. Another part of the problem with the cleanliness is that much of the "running" water is actually runoff from surface streets. At least, the Moshassuck is like this. Perhaps the Woonasquatucket has been separated from the drainage system?

With the combined sewer overflow program nearly (?) complete, I hope that this water will clear up somewhat.

As for the trash, a lot goes in up in Olneyville and I'm sure still more gets thrown in along Promenade, under the mall, and in Waterplace itself. Since the water is basically tidal, and since it is dirty enough that I'm not sure anything is really living there, I think it would make sense to set up some kind of trash screen at the inlet. however, something like that would require actual maintanence.

Archived