New symphony hall in nashville

satalac

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I meant by that was that I don't think of that kind of building when I think of Tennessee. I didn't mean to offend anybody.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem, mate. I'm just bustin' your chops. While we Tennesseans may be a bit sensitive about our country image, we're actually good-natured about it.

I remember my first impresssions of this beautiful state. Being from outside of the USA, I didn't know what to expect. I'm an Aussie transplant who's travelled around the world, and there's no place I'd rather raise my children. I've been here for twelve years now.

I remember at first, whenever I told my colleagues on the west coast that I had moved to TN, they would give me a squinty, quizzical look and ask "Why?" and "Isn't that a backwater?"... Nine times out of ten, the person hadn't even been to the state. So it took me a while to realize that Tennessee had that image. I must admit nowadays, most people say that they envy me for living here. Apparently, the word is getting out.

I've got some pictures of the construction I'll get around to posting sooon. I might throw in some extra Greek Revival structures to add credence to the "Athens of the South" moniker Nashville has had for so long. The nickname was developed to pay homage to the respected educational and cultural institutions in the city, but the architecture so prevalent in some of our larger buildings adds to that.

One thing I'd like to clear up when talking about this building. This is NOT a new performing arts center. This is the Symphony Center. There will be concerts from time to time, but for the most part, the Tennessee Performing Arts Center, several blocks away, will be able to add huge numbers of events to its schedule now that the symphony will have a dedicated home. The Nashville Opera and other such organizations will not be using this building. I think it's pretty cool that we can plunk down $120 million for a building with the main purpose of housing our nationally respected symphony orchestra.

Stereotypes be damned. If you see us on a bale of hay, so be it. But, in actuality, Nashville is full of surprises. Come see us.

Archived