Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it should be. The area is loaded with potential and if Rock takes on the Statler site you could see this area explode.

rock?

are you talking about rock financial, if so please tell me whats goin on with them, are them coming downtown?!?!

Edited by dtown

This is the Gateway Bridge

th_GalewayBridge-BlueBalls.jpg (click on it to view larger)

The state of Michigan calls this structure at I-94 and Telegraph in Taylor the Gateway Bridge. But Detroit Free Press readers chose Big Blue Blunder as its moniker through a reader poll conducted this week.

I personally thought it should be called the Blue Balls Bridge - see the football shapes...

Here

I remember someone earlier mentioning that Compuware was about 1,200,000 sq ft of office space. Similarly, I read on emporis (I believe) that Cleveland's Key Tower was about 1,000,000 sq ft., so while Key Tower is sub taller, the ground area and architecture of Compuware prevented such height (and probably $$ as well). So depending on the size of the statler sight in relation to Qucikens sq need (which would be around the same as compuware I imagine especially considering projected growth), I expect it to be relatively tall. While something the size of Key Tower obviously is well out of the question, I would imagine it to be (generously) 20-30 stories

Cool pics of the bridge, BarGirl. I've been meaning to photograph it, but only have a few photos from passing by it.

Re: Compuware's height...I think the most significant reason it is the height that it is is because the top 2 floors are computer equipment floors that take up so much space, it made most sense for the building structure to be short and wide rather than tall and narrow.

Don't quote me on that, but I thought I remember reading about that at one time during the exciting months of its construction a few years back.

Cool pics of the bridge, BarGirl. I've been meaning to photograph it, but only have a few photos from passing by it....

Thanks, I just snapped them with my cheap tiny camera that I keep in my purse while I was driving down Telegraph yesterday. One of these days, I'm going to rear end someone!

Cool pics of the bridge, BarGirl. I've been meaning to photograph it, but only have a few photos from passing by it.

Re: Compuware's height...I think the most significant reason it is the height that it is is because the top 2 floors are computer equipment floors that take up so much space, it made most sense for the building structure to be short and wide rather than tall and narrow.

Don't quote me on that, but I thought I remember reading about that at one time during the exciting months of its construction a few years back.

Yes, the top two floors are mechanical, and have to be that large to serve a building the size of Compuware. I'd really like to know how much smaller the Statler site is. I'm bad at guessing, and people have been telling me that they think the Statler site is signficantly smaller, but I just don't see it.

Man, you guys hear a lot of gossip. I feel like I'm right in the "brunt of it" but haven't heard a peep.

Anyway, I have a hard time envisioning (from a planning standpoint) a skyscraper on Grand Circus Park. It seems anything "Statler-sized" is about as high as a structure would go there and still blend in with the historic scale and character of the area.

Maybe if the building of GCP were modern, the new addition would be a better fit. I'm impartial to height in this location, however, I would prefer something Statleresque.

Scale isn't going to matter at all in the end. I really don't think Detroit is going to enforce any height standards.

As far as what I want to see, I'm hoping the garage occupies the first 7-8 floors or so, with the office tower on top. I'm not sure why Detroit is avoiding this concept so much when it's done everywhere else. Either land in the D is dirt cheap or we just feel like wasting valuable space building standalone parking structures. (Yes I'm talking to you Compuware).