Cleveland Nicknames . . .

PghUSA

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know of any official nicknames, but two phrases that are often thrown around to describe Cleveland are: "The Mistake By The Lake" and "America's Best Kept Secret." Frankly, I think Cleveland is a beauty in the rough waiting to be discovered. Surrounding the mostly yet to be discovered beauty is the Emerald Necklace (the MetroPark system).

I've heard Cleveland refered to as the "mistake by the lake" before, but I think that title should really go to Detroit, LOL. Detroit isn't right on a lake though, but rather on a straight between two lakes, so I guess that doesn't really work.

lol, wanted to avoid the "mistake" names lol.

In a way I think Pittsburgh and Cleveland and for that matter Buffalo/Cincy and Detroit compete too much. I have heard that emerald necklace name before and I think thats a great thing Cleveland has going for it. I know our cross state rival Philadelphia--which is mismanaged from Harrisburg just like we are--gets its gravy from being a corporate, entertainment, and jettravel pitstop between the powerbrokers of DC and NYC and in a lesser way the Yales and Harvards and MITs in New England. I would hope that the "Mid-East" cities of America could use there collective strengths to lure the big corporate and young workers here. A Carnegie Mellon and Pitt Medical only go so far but with Case-Western and the Rock n Roll hall of fame now we're talking!

Anyways interested in hearing more positive nicknames for Cleveland, besides of course "North Pittsburgh" ;)

• 3 months later...

LOL, i used to love referring to Cleveland as the "Mistake by the Lake" during the late 80's and early 90's, when Michael Jordan and my Bulls were toying with the Cavaliers ;) But it was just a rivalry thing at the time, and in all honesty i knew nothing about the city. I actually got a chance to go there a couple of years ago, and was very impressed. I thought it was a great city... a traditional Midwestern feel to it, it felt a lot like a smaller Chicago. I'd love to go back. I have officially retired the "Mistake by the Lake" references B)

BTW, i think we'll all be hearing a lot more about Cleveland in the coming years with Lebron in town....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

"the Next American City" or something like that.

It's the only city to be voted All American City five times.

Detroit is located on a lake technically. That Lake is Lake St. Clair, but it's nowhere near as big as, say, Lake Erie. L. St. Clair is located between Lake Huron (now considered by some to be Michigan-Huron, since they say it is one lobe of Lake Michgan) and Lake Erie.

• 1 month later...

^^was unaware that Cleveland got that "All American" tag 5 times, I looked at their website:

http://www.ncl.org/aac/past_winners/past_winners.html

Worcester, MA and Roanoke VA also won 5 times but true Cleveland has 5 as a "big city", 3 of which came all in the mid 1980s which is kind of suspicious if you ask me (in fact 4 came within a 10 year period for a survey thats been around since the 1940s).

:D

• 2 months later...

Archived