In Today's Business Journal

vicupstate

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In today's issue...

Parks at The Cathedral phase 2 will likely be sold from Bank of America to Renaissance Design/Build Group. Carlton Jones is a principal with them. It reports that pre-sales will start "ASAP" and would start "under $200,000". A separate homeowner's association would be created for those 12 units, it further states.

There is one article on the courthouse cost overruns, and another on the impact of "tag-along" developments such as the two 12 story buildings that Easton Sanderson plans in conjuntion with the Ambassador Hotel renovation. The Farah brothers' 9 story building is cancelled as they will move into one of the Sanderson buildings. It states that delay of the courthouse will also delay the Sanderson buildings (not surprising).

Further, you can buy a floor of the Greenleaf building for $787,500, or about $175 a foot. There is a nice pic of the Greenleaf building on the cover.

The courthouse itself will not start construction until early 2007, per the article.

The editorial discusses the 35' building limit in Jax Beach, which is supportive of the measure passing.

There is one article on the courthouse cost overruns, and another on the impact of "tag-along" developments such as the two 12 story buildings that Easton Sanderson plans in conjuntion with the Ambassador Hotel renovation.  The Farah brothers' 9 story building is cancelled as they will move into one of the Sanderson buildings.  It states that delay of the courthouse will also delay the Sanderson buildings (not surprising).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where was Farah's 9 story building proposed? With the courthouse delayed, I guess we'll have to wait a couple of extra years for Farah's law office to relocate. I'm looking forward to the day the office relocates, because I'd like to see that building house street retail space again.

Where was Farah's 9 story building proposed?  With the courthouse delayed, I guess we'll have to wait a couple of extra years for Farah's law office to relocate.  I'm looking forward to the day the office relocates, because I'd like to see that building house street retail space again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe the Farah project started out as 323 Duval, or within that same block. Farah joined forces with Easton Sanderson to do a joint project. At east that what I gathered from a search on Jaksonville.com

In this week's issue...

KBJ responds to the courthouse fiasco. According to the article, KBJ can build it's version for $232 million, including land and money already spent.

Mark Brunnel sold his house in Ponte Vedra for $9.5 million. That is a record for the area. He has bought a smaller house there as well.

Article on the high turnover among the mayor's staff.

R E Transactions: Futch Printing building at 228 Forsyth sold for $532k. Maybe something will happen with it.

Commercial Real Estate section, but not much of interest in it. Primarily Industrial space focused.

In This week's issue...

Apparently the B. Dalton in the Landing will close soon. The lease is up and they are located where Sleiman plans to open the center up to Laura St. Apparently that is still "on" even though the city has not approved any incentives deal. The D. Dalton manager says they don't plan to relocate within the center.

Article on downtown evening dining, says that 44 of 89 restaurants downtown serve in the evening. Mudville Grill reports filling 75% of capacity on Thursday and Friday evenings. No one is going gangbusters yet, but evening patronage is building. The Artwalk got a couple of specific mentions as well. Kudos to Tony (Urban Core and DVI)!

I was wondering when B. Dalton's would leave, since they were in the "line of fire". I wish the Landing was big and nice enough to attract bigger tenants, like a Barnes & Noble or a Muvico theater, like Cityplace in WPB. Maybe once he starts building, if that ever happens....

I agree, ArtWalk has been one of the best things for downtown, especially for its nightlife. One of these days I'll go!

It will be sad to see B.Dalton go. Every major downtown could use a book store. Hopefully the one in new library will do a good job of replacing it.

As for the Landing, the mall portion has and still is continuing to go down hill. Over the years its gone from a center, with first rate stores to a spot with empty storefronts and second rate retail outlets.

Sleiman and the city, really dropped the ball on this one, by not getting that deal worked out, so the interior renovation would have been completed by February.

A tenant that would have been great for the Landing would have been Isaac Hayes Restaurant, which was supposed to come in late last year, in the old game room spot. I believe the only way, for the Landing to ever become a success is for the city and Sleiman to offer incentives (tax breaks, parking) to get a couple of hot destination anchors (Muvico, Borders, Isaac Hayes, The Cheesecake Factory, Dave & Busters, etc.) to set up an outlet there.

The Landing is indeed in trouble IMO. Having a bookstore, even a small one, is an important tenant for a center such as the Landing. The Landing will not survive on restaurants alone. You need somewhere to spend time before or after a meal.

Since Sleiman is apparently going to open up the center, I hope he plans to replace the lost space somewhere, although given the current level of vacancy, that is doubtful.

Not a word has been said about the incentives deal in months. It appears the Peyton administration can only handle one project (Alltel upgrades, courthouse, Shipyards) at a time. I would have thought SOME resolution to the Landing deal or the Barnett building or the Laura Place trio would have happened by now.

Maybe someone should talk with Tony about putting a bookstore back into the landing... maybe a bookstore with an AIA component to it to get some great design monographs and design books, above and beyond the coffee table architecture books of Border's and Barne's & Noble. Just another thought to keep the art and design movement ongoing in the downtown area. Many other major metropolitan cities have actual AIA bookstores.

Archived