The Avenue

monsoon

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple months ago I was somewhat concerned that at a glance from the highways IJL and Avenue might appear as one building. My concerns are now formally history.

The unexpected, vibrant blue glass of Avenue separates the two visually in an eye-candy sort of way:)

Other posters have mentioned that the stunning blue glass of Trademark is already visually playing off Avenue's blue toned glass. When the Vue comes on the scene, an interesting blue enclave like this should give Uptown some real pizazz-- and at the same holding to Charlotte's wonderful dedication to high density inner city development.

I'm usually in Uptown only during nights (since I work nights), but I was there yesterday to show in stupid court for a speeding ticket (I'm truly sick of that place). Anyway, afterwards, I decided to ride around and check out the progress on several developments, Avenue included. I truly think this tower is going to look every bit as good as it does in the rendering; I'm very impressed with how it's turning out thus far. I'm also liking the blue hue of Avenue's glass more than Trademark's.

I'm usually in Uptown only during nights (since I work nights), but I was there yesterday to show in stupid court for a speeding ticket (I'm truly sick of that place). Anyway, afterwards, I decided to ride around and check out the progress on several developments, Avenue included. I truly think this tower is going to look every bit as good as it does in the rendering; I'm very impressed with how it's turning out thus far. I'm also liking the blue hue of Avenue's glass more than Trademark's.

I agree with you about the tower part, although I've heard a couple people say otherwise. However, I'm getting more and more concerned about the ground level section. The glass really does look like the rendering, however, that means that rendering wasn't a cartoonish exaggoration. Which also means we're going to be getting that all brick parking deck wrapper with the blue glass windows.

I don't hate that part of the design, but seeing how big that section is in real life from the ground, I really am concerned that it won't look like it is a real building, and that it will be obvious that it is just a faked midrise facade that obviously covers the parking deck.

Early on, I had hoped they would continue the style of the IJL parking deck, but I am not happy they didn't, as I like having all the different styles aroundt the same block. But hopefully it ends up looking good.

On the tower portion, I actually really like that it is so close to IJL. To me, it really makes it look urban, and helps to fill in some gaps in the skyline. The one tower-per-block pattern starts to look very sparce.

The glass really does look like the rendering, however, that means that rendering wasn't a cartoonish exaggoration. Which also means we're going to be getting that all brick parking deck wrapper with the blue glass windows.

I don't hate that part of the design, but seeing how big that section is in real life from the ground, I really am concerned that it won't look like it is a real building, and that it will be obvious that it is just a faked midrise facade that obviously covers the parking deck.

I still cannot get my mind around it sometimes, but this building has 12 more stories to go (give or take depending on what they added since 1-6). It will really be equal or taller than IJL from many viewing perspectives.

Considering most of the buildings on Tryon in that 30-35 range, it is amazing that we are getting a condo building that is 36 stories tall. Just think back to our expectations for towers (office or residential) when this building was announced. This was the first to be announced in the post-Courtside boom, if memory serves. It basically doubled the height of that building.

This building also helped to spark a return to the era of multiple towers per block. For too long, we've gotten one tower per block. But with this going up on IJL's block, we subsequently got Epicenter having two towers, Ritz and Bank of America having two towers, Novare building 4 towers on a large block in 3rd Ward, and so on. The skyline density is one thing, but when you have a major office tower, a major residential tower, an historic hotel, and street retail surrounding the block we finally have the right mix to start having pedestrian density on the block. The retail alone is notable on this block, with a drug store (CVS, which I couldn't believe they kept open but they did), some nightlife hotspots (Menage and Stool Pigeons), some upscale restaurants (Zink, Capital Grill, LaTorre's, Montecello), some downscale restaurants (Groucho's Deli, Belle's BBQ, Stool Pigeons). Then you also have the new street retail going into Avenue's ground level, and the city eventually trading the street parking for wider sidewalks on 5th Street. We will hopefully really start to get the urban dividends from these new residential towers, especially this one.

I was talking to a buddy of mine today and he told me that the Avenue is already over 95% under contract. No wonder Novare is moving ahead with the 1400 condos in 3rd Ward...they expect to start construction on the first condo tower in May or June with sales information coming out around the same time.

avenueconst.jpg

using the photo by taken by forum member CLTurban, here's a very, very crude height estimate (give or take) once The Avenue is completed. I know, the builing looks a little crooked at some parts but what the heck.

As noted by many people, this will fill in the space gap nicely between the Carillon and IJL. Honestly, this building is much better looking than I orignally thought when seeing the rendering for the first last year.

CLTurban, if you want me to take the photo down let me know

dx

Archived