Columbia Hilton & new Pendleton St Garage

emerging.me

Just a couple of photos. Sorry about the glare, it was really bright outside today.

P1010014.jpg

3 retail spaces in the Hilton garage will face Lincoln St.

P1010028.jpg

I really wish the Hilton was taller and bigger. I guess the other new additional hotels coming to the downtown area will make up for the slack. Atleast it comes with a Ruth Chris.... :thumbsup:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The picture was taken from a higher elevation, Assembly St, so it looks much taller up close. A taller tower would have been nice I agree, but the Vista has height restrictions. I'm glad it's not too big of a hotel, it leaves a market for other hotels to be built.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like it more and more. I still wish they had more ground level retail, but its really shaping up nicely.

If we want Columbia to be a people-friendly city, then these parking garage structures need to have ground-level stores and restaurants. They need to have reasons for people to walk around and not just get to the next building. This area around the convention center/Colonial Center is turning into a very "cold" unfriendly area. There will be three parking structures in a row (a good thing for all the events) but none of them seem to have anything friendly on the street (except one part of the newest garage behind the Koger center which will house the USC String Project). Why can't we learn from other cities and not repeat the same mistakes that others have made?

^There actually will be street-level retail in the parking garage, and there will also be space in the groud floor of the garage in Discovery Plaza (the Biomed block). That's one thing that Columbia is actually good at, and I believe that's required for city-funded parking garages.

From the City Council agenda for April 4th:

Ordinance No.: 2007-016 - Authorizing execution of a Lease between the City of Columbia and the Columbia Metropolitan Convention and Visitors Bureau for first floor retail space in the Pendleton Street Parking Garage; First reading approval was given on March 21, 2007.

Archived