new Connecticut River crossings

Bill Mocarsky

Since it's a little slow on the forum, I thought I would post this topic. I know that from time to time we discuss new Connecticut river crossings. I couldn't find a related topic readily accessible so I started a new one.

From my notes:

A new bridge that spans the Connecticut River would be the first road connection (in recent history) between Hartford and East Hartford that does not use an expressway. It would join Charter Oak Avenue with Silver Lane, completing the framework for a downtown to Rentschler Field circuit. It would also open up a desolate corner of town known as Coltsville.

Although the bridge would provide an alternate way between route 2 and downtown, it wouldn’t be fashioned like a highway access artery; it would be a city street linking the Hartford and East Hartford riverbanks. Bike trails from both sides of the river would be joined while additional combinations of walking loops through the riverfront park network are created.

A bascule bridge design would allow the road bed to be closer to the water than neighboring bridges. It would open for the occasional taller boats that pass through. The approach would go under an elevated portion of I-91 at the Coltsville Gateway site on the Hartford side of the river.

The bridge would be designed to accommodate light rail and local bus routes that branch out on the east side of the river. It would position the Coltsville Historic District at a gateway to the city and along a path that leads to places such as Rentschler Stadium, Goodwin College, and Adriaen’s Landing.

post-6896-0-97146600-1309188837_thumb.jp

A few Google Earth screen shots

Approaching Hartford from Silver Lane near East River Drive

post-6896-0-81332200-1309188789_thumb.jp

Looking upriver

post-6896-0-11148800-1309188804_thumb.jp

From the Colt Dome

post-6896-0-26788900-1309188816_thumb.jp

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that location does look pretty good. I think having a city street type of bridge there would do a lot to psychologically connect Hartford to East Hartford and would certainly be a shot in the arm for Silver Ln. to be directly connected to the Downtown Hartford area.

I hate to say it. But Silver Lane to the Whitehead looks like a natural.

I'm not advocating it. Just saying.

Too me, a Silver Lane to Whithead Highway bridge looks a bit complicated.

1) The (diagonal) span across the river would need to be about 50% longer than one that is perpendicular to the river.

2) What is the impact on the Whitehead/I-91 interchange?

a new bridge is definitely needed! I like the whitehead to silver lane connection better, because I think it would help with a major artery of traffic.

I do think it would force us to reconsider the whitehead highway (and it's connection to I-91), which is not necessarily a bad thing! :)

a new bridge is definitely needed! I like the whitehead to silver lane connection better, because I think it would help with a major artery of traffic.

I do think it would force us to reconsider the whitehead highway (and it's connection to I-91), which is not necessarily a bad thing! :)

I'm trying to imagine something different than another Founder's or Charter Oak type bridge. I'm thinking of a bridge without an approach and almost level with the connecting street grids.

What would you think about a bascule bridge? Chicago has several of these.

I'm trying to imagine something different than another Founder's or Charter Oak type bridge. I'm thinking of a bridge without an approach and almost level with the connecting street grids.

What would you think about a bascule bridge? Chicago has several of these.

Every bridge the CDOT builds looks like a highway on-ramp. They have zero imagination. None.

The only decent bridge in the state is the frog bridge in Willimantic. http://www.kurumi.co...ct/br-frog.html

photo-frogbr-n.jpgphoto-frogs.jpg

So yeah, any bridge that isn't a concrete strip would be great, a suspension bridge, a stonebridge, anything.

Archived