Connecticut bleeding manufactoring jobs

beerbeer

http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/news16699.html

Since 1990, Connecticut has jettisoned 45 percent of its manufacturing industry employment, losing a total of 138,400 jobs. “If you lost 140,000 manufacturing jobs over the past 20 years, you ought to be scared out of your mind… but Connecticut isn’t,” said Fred Carstensen, director for the Connecticut Center for Economic Analysis. “The state has been too passive in keeping manufacturers here.”

The cost of labor may be high; energy costs may be high; the government may be schizophrenic; but, for many, moving away is seen as a giant pain. For all their grumbling about paid sick leave legislation, the changing tax code and health care mandates — how the next straw will be the last straw — manufacturers find relocating to be an expensive and consequential ordeal.

In short, Connecticut isn't creating any jobs and the jobs that are still in the state are largely here because of inertia. Will this state every wake up.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read the article, and its not as "bad" as you make it seem.

We have lots a ton of manufacturing jobs, but the article also points out that high tech manufacturing is a bringht spot and that we have done well to retain mny of the high tech and high paying manufacturing jobs.

now, of course its still a trend that we should work to reverse, or at least we should figure out how to grow our manufacturing base with the high tech high pay jobs.

something else i was wondering is what is the national trend? without a baseline, its unfair to peg our numbers as terrible. I bet the US as a whole has lost millions of manufacturnig jobs during this period.

If CT lost 45% and the US lost 35%, I would say that relatively we are doing poorly, but it still paints a more accurate picture than simply 45% loss.

• 2 weeks later...

I read the article, and its not as "bad" as you make it seem.

We have lots a ton of manufacturing jobs, but the article also points out that high tech manufacturing is a bringht spot and that we have done well to retain mny of the high tech and high paying manufacturing jobs.

now, of course its still a trend that we should work to reverse, or at least we should figure out how to grow our manufacturing base with the high tech high pay jobs.

something else i was wondering is what is the national trend? without a baseline, its unfair to peg our numbers as terrible. I bet the US as a whole has lost millions of manufacturnig jobs during this period.

If CT lost 45% and the US lost 35%, I would say that relatively we are doing poorly, but it still paints a more accurate picture than simply 45% loss.

What planet are you posting from? It is bad! Taxes are going up. They should be going down. How the hell are we gonna remain competitive, when are tax structure is unfavorable to new businesses possibly being relocated here. There are many other States out there that would love to snatch up a bunch of our company's here. If we don't change the way state government does business, then were screwed for decades to come.

I live on the planet of sanity and reason my friend.

if you look at the whole article and soo how we have as a state made strides in high tech manufacturing you will see the full intention of the article.

crap is bad, crap is generally not getting better, and this article was written with the intention to further get the point across to the readers(and policymakers). It was timed to come out just before the new budget was released, this is simply an informative and honestly fairly balanced article designed to give good reasons to affect change in the states financial policies and also points out our successes with our failures.

All you got from it was a sound byte and in this thread you got the semi skewed post from Beerbeer which was generally more rhetoric than anyalisis of the article....you missed the real info this fairly well written piece.

read the article take it for what it is and think about the authors motivation as well as the general timing and purpose of the whole thing. I know, not very 2011 (all you need is the soundbyte) of me.

Again it sucks that we have lost our position as a manufacturing state, but its awesome that we are starting to become better in the High tech sector as well as Pharma etc... if we are able to grow this clean higher paying manufacturing sector I would be pleased.

you are generally replying to the malloy budget thread in this one. Even though this article was written so that people like malloy take heed of the business communities warnings, if you read the article and not just the headline, you will see its like I said in my post, not as bad as Beerbeer made it sound.

and yes, I know I should never feed the trolls, but I hate when people do not read the article or if they do they sure as heck do not comprehend it.

Cheers!

Archived