[NEW FEATURE] Project Database

Neo

We've been working on a replacement for the wiki for a few weeks now and I'm proud to announce that today we're announcing the permanent replacement to the wiki. All information that was entered into the wiki has been migrated over to the new system.

We realized that what we needed was a tighter integration with the forums and the wiki simply wasn't giving us what we needed. Very few users contributed due to the fact that the wiki required that you knew certain forms and functions. The new Project Database (as we've called it) functions like the forums already do. You simply create a new record in the database, fill out what you know, attach any site plans, construction photos, etc. and post it. For the moment we're requiring that moderators approve all additions however. The reason being is that we want to make sure that records are placed in the correct city/state and that the information entered is in line (nothing that violates our rules).

We want to make the 'Project Database' a place where anyone can come and view site plans, construction photos and other relevant information regarding a project. Please let us know if you have any suggestions or comments, we'd love to hear feedback from you!

You can find the new Project Database by clicking the link at the top of any city or state in the forums, or click the link for Project Database from the drop-down menu for Projects.

Here is a link to the Project Database as well: http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/page/databases/project_db

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea :) Hopefully this will get more user involvement, heh.

A few things i'd like to see, if possible..

* create/assign categories for different areas of a city, to better organize projects (downtown, midtown, etc)

* attach 'thumbnail images' that are shown on the main page for a city (in the list of all projects for that city)

* map intergration - ability to insert a map into a project page, and also create a city map that has clickable links to project pages within it

Good idea :) Hopefully this will get more user involvement, heh.

A few things i'd like to see, if possible..

* create/assign categories for different areas of a city, to better organize projects (downtown, midtown, etc)

I actually have this on my roadmap, but it really doesn't make sense until a city has enough projects in each of the areas. To implement this at a later date I will need the assistance of locals in the area to get the naming correct for specific areas of the city.

* attach 'thumbnail images' that are shown on the main page for a city (in the list of all projects for that city)

Can you elaborate please? I'm not sure I fully understand.

* map intergration - ability to insert a map into a project page, and also create a city map that has clickable links to project pages within it

We already have this actually. You can add a map in the More Info block for a project by following the instructions on embedding a map here:

Can you elaborate please? I'm not sure I fully understand.

Basically what I had done on the wiki.. there was one page called development summary, or something like that.. which is kinda what you have here (the main page for Nashville).. except with thumbnail images for each project listed, one on each line along with the floors, status, etc.

We already have this actually. You can add a map in the More Info block for a project by following the instructions on embedding a map here:

Cool :)

How about the city-wide map of projects? Wasn't there already something like this on UP?

Basically what I had done on the wiki.. there was one page called development summary, or something like that.. which is kinda what you have here (the main page for Nashville).. except with thumbnail images for each project listed, one on each line along with the floors, status, etc.

While it is a good idea, it would slow down the loading of the list for some, which I want to avoid if possible. Not a bad idea to possibly add later though.

How about the city-wide map of projects? Wasn't there already something like this on UP?

We did have this, but it has been discontinued. It was rarely ever updated and didn't integrate very well into the site. We do not have a direct replacement for this unfortunately, but the Project Database is the closest thing to what we had.

The project database is going to be a really cool thing once we get it going.

I agree, unfortunately only staff has contributed thus far. I know it will take a while to catch on and have information added though. Will be a great resource to go to if someone has a question about an older version of a site plan or design (if it was uploaded to the Project Database that is) or a question about a project's vitals (height, construction date, etc).

• 1 year later...

Hello. Was wondering what the protocol for adding pictures to the database is, if any at all. I tried using the attachment option, but I keep getting an upload error. Is there a size limit? I didn't see one posted if there is. For now I have just posted the code in the More Information section. Thanks.

Edited by timmay143

Hello. Was wondering what the protocol for adding pictures to the database is, if any at all. I tried using the attachment option, but I keep getting an upload error. Is there a size limit? I didn't see one posted if there is. For now I have just posted the code in the More Information section. Thanks.

Upload limit is 50MB. What is the error that you're receiving when you try to upload?