Grand Rapids Electronic Music Fest

GRDadof3

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife and I walked down to check it out and ended up staying for an hour or so. The event seemed to be well attended and looked like a really fun time. I agree with Rhino, there was a ton of energy downtown, fun event.

I was at a wedding in Traverse City. Certainly looked like it was a lot of fun.

I think these clips are from one of the official videographers that Rob Bliss had working with him.

This one has footage from when the rain started. It's my favorite. It looks like the rain just got people more excited.

i made it down for the last half hour, it was fun, well attended for all the rain, hope it happens next year, but i have to wonder how many dj's are there in town that are good enough to play this, you can have the the same guys for a few years but then get some different sounds and varieties.

There's actually quite a few. Bliss had a lot of DJs banging on his door; only these lucky few made it into the first year. With the potential for a multiple-day event next year, more of this area's DJs will get a chance. (Hopefully including me. o_o)

In addition to this event, an online West Michigan Electronic Music radio station is underway, a community site similar to UP but for the area's electronic music is being created, and I'm spearheading a coalition to promote the music and bring the DJs, promoters, and fans closer together into a tightly knit community. It's an exciting year for electronica in West Michigan.

In addition to this event, an online West Michigan Electronic Music radio station is underway, a community site similar to UP but for the area's electronic music is being created, and I'm spearheading a coalition to promote the music and bring the DJs, promoters, and fans closer together into a tightly knit community. It's an exciting year for electronica in West Michigan.

Westmilounge.com actually. The one linked above looks more to be a repository of information with less focus on actual interaction between people. Sort of like a difference between rapidgrowth and UP, perhaps? Also looks like a bit of ego involved considering the DJ named "Get Physical." The scene isn't about him, it's about the music. Maybe I'm not interpreting it correctly, but that's the impression I get.

Westmilounge is still under construction yet, however.. but does have some bigger names on board.

I'm sad that we missed this. After spending so much money on my matron on honor dress I figured it was more important that I be at my friend's wedding.

I guess my 2 yr old niece really enjoyed the event. I'm hoping there are pictures of that somewhere.

I went early and stayed until the second rainstorm unleashed - around 11:30 p.m. It was amazing! Total props to Rob Bliss and all who made it possible for this event to happen in Grand Rapids. The crowd dancing started out smallish when it was still light out, but it just kept growing and growing along with the energy as it grew dark. Someone else mentioned how the rain seemed to just feed the crowd's energy - so true! Once I stowed my camera and phone, I didn't care how drenched I got. I just kept dancing. I'm so excited about this event becoming a yearly deal and about the techno community getting more organized and being more widely accepted. I've loved techno music for a long time and had SO MUCH fun dancing and feeling the bass outdoors in the middle of a mass of humanity. I just kept thinking, "I'm in GRAND RAPIDS! How cool is this!?!" :thumbsup:

*fish

Didn't go so can't say too much, just to note that there is a thriving underground scene of Djs and producers in West Mich. Many of them in the "scene" for 20+ years now.

The first free, all local dj, local sound rave/electronic music festival was actually on the Monroe Amphitheater in July of 1999, fully 10 years ago. Obviously not nearly the turn out as this past event, but we didn't have facebook back then ;) we had printed flyers we had to take to record/specialty stores around the region. (Now get off my lawn!)

There are plenty of local djs to fill several days worth of music, plus plenty of "natives" who've taken their craft to larger cities, some quite successfully. A producer doing a live PA would really add local flair to the event (though live PAs are pretty boring IMHO...lots of knob tweaking with not much fanfare.)

Would love to see more veteran locals on the bill next year. Maybe a second stage at ah-nab-awen.

Archived