San Francisco Photo of the NIGHT

Charles Pearson

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MaidenLane2.001.jpg

This is an amazing composition --- even more mysterious than the already mysterious window display. Are those ostriches? Don't tell me those are ostrich leather bags --- reminds me of butcher shop windows, where piggy manequins advertise for sausages --- in any case, I love this monochromatic photo, just beautiful in every way!

Return to North Beach

barbarycoast_broadwaystreetJPG.jpg

Those were the times... when I first came to San Francisco, at that corner of Columbus and Grand, there was a huge neon sign featuring pioneering stripper Carol Doda, with blinking titties. And believe it or not, in one the "Streets of San Francisco" episodes I watched the other day, you could see - in a corner display window on the second floor next to the neon sign for the strip/pleasure bar "The Garden of Eden" - a live stripper dancing with a giant, live python snake, enticing passers-by to visit her Garden Of Eden, which, I'm sure was an expensive way to lose your innocence (without ever getting a chance to REALLY lose it).

Since then, the red light district of North Beach has been toned down considerably, but your photo has brought back to me those memories of forbidden dangers that awaited the casual night-visitor in North Beach.

This is an amazing composition --- even more mysterious than the already mysterious window display. Are those ostriches? Don't tell me those are ostrich leather bags --- reminds me of butcher shop windows, where piggy manequins advertise for sausages --- in any case, I love this monochromatic photo, just beautiful in every way!

...so many comments. Unfortunately, i feel like such a dork when i respond to these things...so thanks; I read every one. But yes, those are ostrich bags that got me depressed when I really thought about it...

bhkitchenlateNite.jpg

DieselMarketStreetEllis.jpg

Zahc, this photo is absolutely spectacular. The way the two streets lead into different directions --- straight into the distance is almost like looking in two different realities, and the angled display window in the center is yet another reality, a fork in the way. It's just as if I stood there in person, and I look left, and can go into this distance, or I look right, and I can walk into the other distance. The composition itself is truly lovely, with the different color glows the street lights and sings emanate and cast onto the sidewalk, and the cool green of the window, and the spectalular blue halo that crowns this masterpiece of a photo. One of your very best, Zahc ---

Zahc, this photo is absolutely spectacular. The way the two streets lead into different directions --- straight into the distance is almost like looking in two different realities, and the angled display window in the center is yet another reality, a fork in the way. It's just as if I stood there in person, and I look left, and can go into this distance, or I look right, and I can walk into the other distance. The composition itself is truly lovely, with the different color glows the street lights and sings emanate and cast onto the sidewalk, and the cool green of the window, and the spectalular blue halo that crowns this masterpiece of a photo. One of your very best, Zahc ---

cool. long day/afternoon filming/shooting an interesting talent show at St. Boniface in the TL where a group of senior citizen Chinese women did the electric slide. i was supposed to have dinner with a friend but decided to steal a nap and just woke up...

------------------------------

Late Night in The City

MarketPowell.jpg

MarketStreetDowntown.jpg

cool. long day/afternoon filming/shooting an interesting talent show at St. Boniface in the TL where a group of senior citizen Chinese women did the electric slide. i was supposed to have dinner with a friend but decided to steal a nap and just woke up...

------------------------------

Late Night in The City

MarketPowell.jpg

WOW --- beautiful shot. Film noir, and yet in color --- I know where it is, and yet I don't know where it is. I mean, I know the location, but not that amazing metallic architecture/sculpture. Masterful.

Around Sunset

IMG_9575-5.jpg

Twilight Lite

I like them all, of course, but the almost abstract photo with the lamp is just stunning. It creates its own sunset.

sfsunsetskyline001.jpg

Skyline at Sunset I

I love how the Rincoln Hill tower is in conversation with the Bank of America tower. Like they telegraph to each other. Well, I think the over-stylish Rincoln Hill tower can learn a thing or two from the timeless B of A tower. It looks good as seen from the Embarcadero, or downtown, but not from the South. I really don't understand that white flat shield on top, especially with that black slit that looks like a scar. Glad it doesn't show in this photo.

sfsunsetskyline002.jpg

Skyline at Sunset II

Thanks, your comments are always appreciated. Yes, I too love how the living room lamp turned out & reminded me also of its own "sunset".

By the way, the timeless Bank of America Building is now called 555 California. A.P. Giannini's bank which Giannini founded in San Francisco as Bank of Italy in 1904, became Bank of America in 1928 and is no longer headquartered in San Francisco. I worked there from 1989 to 1997 for fantastic Barbara Desoer during favorite CEO Dick Rosenberg's period, then lousy Coulter who succeeded Rosenberg and sold the bank...

Archived