Hampton Roads Skylines

varider

How would you describe the various Hampton Roads Skylines (NORFOLK VA BEACH PORTSMOUTH ECT.)?

What do you see in the future for them?(Especially Norfolk)? Do you see a booming skyline with a building breaking the 30 story mark? Or same old mid rise buildings? This should be interesing.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm not mistaken it's difficult to build very tall buildings because the area is swamp (the answers to this are somewhere here on the forum).

I don't for-see too many crazy buildings because we just don't have that caliber of companies. We're home to only a few Fortune 500 companies. Norfolk Southern's operations are mostly elsewhere, I've heard rumors the only reason they are here is because someone with power's daughter wanted to go to school here or some such years ago. Roanoke and Atlanta are big spots for them IIRC. BofA uses a bunch of their building, they only occupy 12 floors or so of their own building.

The past few boom years of America have mostly been debt driven, not real true quality growth. So now we will get a pause for the cause. I don't know who's going to occupy all the luxury apartments because there is still a housing oversupply and no great growth expansion in 757 (most of the money comes from the gov't, so maybe they will just give all the Navy people higher housing allowances to go with education benefits and retirement benefits).

It will be interesting to see Norfolk in 50 years. Will they raise all the ghetto housing, and force those people to Portsmouth or Chesapeake?

I do believe the poorness is expanding, at least the students that are poor are. Norfolk got their first high school that defaulted to reduced lunches not that long ago.

Dunno, we'll see where this place goes.

People will accuse me of being negative, but I think I'm just realistic.

• 9 months later...

Tall buildings can be built in Norfolk. The swamp actually is less important than the depth of the bed rock. Due to our geologic past, Norfolk's bedrock is moderately deep. It is not too deep that it is cost-prohibitive but it is not so shallow that we could have an easy subway.

As for the actual skyline, I think I have to agree with John Aragona, the developer of Aragona Village in Virginia Beach. When it was built, it was the largest subdivision in the area. Once, when asked about his vision of the area, he replied that he saw a skyline of tall buildings stretching from Downtown Norfolk all the way to the Oceanfront down Virginia Beach Blvd. I think that this is where we are headed (as long as Virginia Beach gets on board with Light Rail and smart development).

• 3 months later...

I wish we were more of a county type metro area as opposed to independent cities. To much hate to develop the way the skyline should be from Norfolk to Va Beach to Portsmouth and so on!!! I like the fact its growing so for now i'd describe it as on the come up! Give the skylines 15 years and when the economy turns arund we can be a major player in urban development. Especially after the downturn showed how stable our economy is compared to other metros larger and of the same size. Look at California right now they have a bigger skyline but, a far worse of economy!!! L.G.N.M

Archived