Highway 80 - Bossier's new frontier

dimebag1980

There are one or two threads on here that already mention the Cyber Innovation Center, Villaggio, BPCC, etc. But I feel that Highway 80 kind of deserves a thread of its own in which to discuss all these developments and more.

At one time in Bossier City's history, Highway 80 was where it all happened. From nightclubs and motels, to illegal backroom brothels and gambling halls, the road was Bossier City's version of the Vegas strip. While I wasn't around in those days, I've heard it from many people that even some of the most famous people of the time, including Elvis Presley and Hank Williams, Sr. frequented the establishments along the Strip. Dale Hawkins, who in 1957 wrote the hit song Suzie Q, got his start playing in these venues.

Not much is left of the old Bossier Strip but a few old bars and motels which have all seen better days. Today, pawn shops, mobile home sales lots, and the ruins of many once-popular establishments line the stretch of Highway 80 through Bossier City between Shreveport and Haughton. But a new chapter is being written in the history of this long stretch of road and I'm proud to be around to witness this new growth.

Probably the largest and most remarkable of the projects coming up along Highway 80 is the National Cyber Research Park. The first phase of this project is currently under construction and it is huge. I pass this site daily and am amazed at the size of the first building, the headquarters of the Cyber Innovation Center. [link here] As the centerpiece to this research park, this first building is going to be amazing. Construction has barely begun and you can already see just how massive this building will be. For those interested in watching the progress of this building, there is a live cam watching over the construction site. [link here]

More projects have recently been built and are starting construction along Highway 80, from the Louisiana Boardwalk in downtown Bossier City, to the Bossier Parish Community College [link here] and Villaggio [link here] developments. I believe we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg with current development along this stretch of road.

Though I don't take many photos anymore, I will try to get by these locations in the near future and snap some photos to share here.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is another good Cyber-related article in The Times this morning. link here

I noticed last night that, last week, I missed an article about the project. Last week's article mentioned an additional $900,000 that the Cyber project was allocated for explosion-resistant glass cladding. Since the building will be clad mostly in glass, in order to make the building fully explosion-resistant, this special glass was imperative.

Craig Spohn, the man in charge of putting CIC together, has been in negotiations with Dell, Microsoft, and Cisco for locations within the center and feels pretty sure his negotiations will prove fruitful in the end. Already they have Northrop-Grumman, among other big-name companies, ready to do business at this location.

We have far too many small-minded, small-town people in Shreveport-Bossier City who complain about everything. They believe Bossier shouldn't be spending all this money on this project, which I've heard many people go as far as to call a flop. Bear in mind most of the people talking the loudest in opposition of this project are people who really know nothing about it. As was evidenced by CenturyTel Center and Louisiana Boardwalk, you've got to spend money to make money. Sometimes a municipality has to put up its own money on good faith to help a project get moving. And in Bossier City's case, this has yet to backfire on them. If the State of Louisiana felt good enough about the project to put up over $50 million of their own money, then apparently they also understand the importance of this project.

So many naysayers say "but if we don't land the US Air Force Cyber Command, how will this center be successful?" Well, here's a newsflash for those people: the basis for the Air Force Cyber Command, whether it happens or not, is already here. We already have these operations located at Barksdale Air Force Base, and all CIC will do is help to grow this industry here. On a daily basis, important cyber warfare operations are conducted from right here in Shreveport-Bossier City. Soon we will not only have more of these decisions made here, but also we will have companies here manufacturing the most advanced cyber security software in the world.

Nice thread! WOW! Those are some big time developments along the Hwy 80 corridor! Like to see the new growth! Cool little history lesson; interesting past! I am pulling for SBC; we are all in this together in Louisiana. With GM's status in question I really hope everything with the Cyber Command Center works out. I was glad to see the state make that investment. The building's design looks really smooth/high-tech!

Seems like the BPCC and Vellagio could really compliment each other! Next time i'm in that area; got to visit the La. Boardwalk!

Thanks for the updates! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Richy. With all the business closures occurring in this area, we don't get to brag about much lately. But I've been thinking a lot about the transformation that Highway 80 is undergoing and I figured I might as well mention it.

Also, just about 1 mile east of the Cyber site, across I-220, there is a new hotel at Harrah's Louisiana Downs. New stores and more hotels were planned for that area before the economy began to turn, but perhaps we can get back to that point. A lot of land was cleared to make room for the new developments, which are much needed for the east Bossier/Haughton area.

Definitely hoping for the best with GM. While I'm really not a fan of the bailouts, I do realize that our local economy is heavily dependent on the large plant they have here. I feel their recent $750 million investment in the Shreveport plant might put it in a good position to remain open... or at least I hope that's the case.

• 4 weeks later...

Aother new, huge development for the Highway 80 corridor: Hayride Village, a music village planned for Cane's Landing, north of Bass Pro Shop. This won't actually be on Highway 80, but rather off Highway 80. But still, it's part of the corridor. And regardless, it's a huge feather in Bossier City's cap. Of course there is still much to be said, for instance where the remaining funding will come from. We know the state of Louisiana has committed $15 million to the development, but that sounds to me like just a portion of the actual cost.

And admittedly I just browsed the article, as I never really read anything fully. If I missed something, sorry. :)

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/200...ONTPAGECAROUSEL

This is also a project that I have known about for a year or two. I was told a little about it by an inside source, and I swore to not say a word. I was becoming concerned that it might not happen since I haven't heard anything about it until now.

Aother new, huge development for the Highway 80 corridor: Hayride Village, a music village planned for Cane's Landing, north of Bass Pro Shop. This won't actually be on Highway 80, but rather off Highway 80. But still, it's part of the corridor. And regardless, it's a huge feather in Bossier City's cap. Of course there is still much to be said, for instance where the remaining funding will come from. We know the state of Louisiana has committed $15 million to the development, but that sounds to me like just a portion of the actual cost.

And admittedly I just browsed the article, as I never really read anything fully. If I missed something, sorry. :)

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/200...ONTPAGECAROUSEL

This is also a project that I have known about for a year or two. I was told a little about it by an inside source, and I swore to not say a word. I was becoming concerned that it might not happen since I haven't heard anything about it until now.

I can't remember about this but didn't author Clive Cussler come to the area a few years back looking for a lost Confederate submarine?

Something about the Cane's Landing site jogged my memory about this.

I had a chat with local historian Eric Brock a few years back and he said that something was found near the river by Cane's Landing close to the water but is was too far below the

surface. Does anyone know about this?

Mudbugger

I can't remember about this but didn't author Clive Cussler come to the area a few years back looking for a lost Confederate submarine?

Something about the Cane's Landing site jogged my memory about this.

I had a chat with local historian Eric Brock a few years back and he said that something was found near the river by Cane's Landing close to the water but is was too far below the

surface. Does anyone know about this?

Mudbugger

Yes, he did. Found something but couldn't get to it. I do remember that.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know what to say, other than it's mostly built. They are adding townhomes as time goes on and as demand calls for it; they have built two townhomes so far. They also added a very large 2-story pool house, which I suppose is for gatherings and such. Other than that, nothing of note. They did have to fish a dead body out of Lake Villaggio a while back, though. A young Barksdale airman, who I believe they said lived there and was fishing, experienced a medical problem of some sort, and apparently no one was around when he fell into the lake and drowned.

Archived