Big project(s) coming for downtown?

GRDadof3

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gotta agree with EnegeryisEverywhere.

The cheap shots aren't necessary. This isn't the first time I've been dissapointed by the closed mindedness of these boards.

I'm not Dutch but I feel the comment was unnecessary. Grand Rapids should be embracing its local culture, not having it mocked and ridiculed. You wouldn't make similar joke on an internet board about someone of Jewish or African-American descent. This is no different.

As a conservative Republican I don't come onto these boards and start slamming on the obvious liberal slant many people have even though the urge to do so is sometimes very strong. I've learned to accept it for what it is, live with it, and try to find a common ground.

You're different...we get it. Please leave the discussions of fundamental differences in beliefs and politics to the board that is designated for such topics.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay. Let me take a crack at this.

As for the Corporate HQ bit, Amway seems a likely candidate to move DT esp. given the "large surface lot phasing out of the parking business". Amway owns the huge surface lot located at the SW corner of Market and Fulton. Plus I do remember seeing awesome renderings of a concept development study for that site last year from sources I'd rather not disclose. If I remember correctly it had two huge hi-rises both taller than RH.

I know nothing about this "project(s)" in the works but I'll take a guess that this isn't it. There's a TON of work going on around the Ada campus for the 50th Anniversary early next year. Work including building renovations which include remodeling of the main lobby and the executive offices, re-paving a lot of the roadways on campus and changing all the signage back to "Amway" from "Alticor" (would have happened anyway). Not that we don't build buildings in downtown areas, our 13 story Japan office in Tokyo is a beautiful building that was built buy us, I just don't see investing in the Ada campus only to move. Also remember this place is almost a mile from one end of the building to the other for the offices, plus all the manufacturing on site, and that's a LOT of real estate to sit empty/try split up and pawn off.

Who is Danny?

Let me also say that I'm not hearing about another $Billion Duane Faust deal. Much smaller scale than that, but still significant. When I hear something from one person, I'm always a bit skeptical. When you hear it from two or three, it starts getting interesting. When you hear it in every corner of people who are usually tied into the community, it starts be feel more like a reality. I just wish I knew exactly WHAT THE HECK IT IS (or they are). :rofl:

Archived