How did we end up with Ballantyne?

monsoon

Granted this area is perceived (for better or worse) as a playground for the rich, I do appreciate one beacon of that whole complex - the theatre.

Aside from the Manor, its retro series is something that is much loved by movie aficianados! I'm glad they brought it back.

And to toss my other two pennies into the fountain here, if it gets a few more cars off the road by having those live and work within that mega block, the better for everyone else on 485.

There are times I wish I had that type of development to live in. Hell, I could walk to the grocery store, restaurants, convenience store, movie theatre, etc. That is the ultimate in convenience. And I would be walking everywhere.

But on the other hand, it is sprawl none the less, and all the peripheral traffic it brings kind of offsets any good intentions it was designed for.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When I say "connectivity," I'm referring to the built environment. Even a lot of suburban development happens somewhat organically (it just takes the wrong form); there's just a very, very obvious gap when you skip over into Ballantyne. You can tell it's a "forced" community. I suspect that if Mecklenburg County were located in SC or GA, Ballantyne would either be an unincorporated area or its own municipality.

Archived