165 atwells ave. construction?

morlium

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

holy crap! i go away for a week and the building's gone? (note: i got back tonight after dark, didn't venture down atwells). i had originally thought they were just going to renovate it. i'll crap a brick if that's going to be surface parking.

I think, although I am not positive, that a building lot going from residential to a parking lot may require a zoning change (use change?) I know that evil-doers rarely get them (and by get them I mean ask for them) but the change from residential to commercial has tax implications. I think if it is parking for the house you own next door, you don't have to do it if you merge the lots, but if that lot ends up being surface parking for the restaurant, then I think they absolutely do. Someone should check...If it is going to be a parking lot, they better be paying for it. And landscaping it, and putting up decorative fence and all the other REQUIREMENTS for a parking lot.

That building had vacant storefronts in it though, didnt it? Wouldnt that indicate it was already zoned for commercial? Man, tearing down tenements on the back streets for parking is one thing, but surface parking actually on Atwells is just dreadfull.

On a kind of unrelated note - I have been frequenting the new Walgreens down the way, and I must say they did a great job with their surface parking and masking it from the street.

It's a prime spot, so a parking lot seems like a waste (at least to me).

I'd love to see some kind of entertainment --- playhouse, movie theater, comedy club, etc. --- that gives people a reason to come to the hill besides eating and drinking.

Archived