Hypermiling

So I have been reading a lot lately on the best ways to save gas since it's crested $3.90+ in Nashville, and was curious as to what anybody else is doing out there. I started testing with hypermiling today, coasting when I can with the engine off, and using available momentum without stopping, etc. but would like to hear other ideas.

I'm fairly certain a 2002 Camry isn't supposed to cost $60 to fill up twice a week. So now I'm mad as hell and looking to save some gas.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i find hyper-miling to be very dangerous. anytime you have the engine off, you can now not accelerate to avoid an accident and the steering is also more difficult due to the fact that the steering pump is off. simply avoid jack rabbit starts and hard braking. also keep tires filled with maximum recommended pressure. overfilling as some hyper-milers swear by is also dangerous due to blow-out dangers. also, keep your care tuned with new plugs, air filter and oil changes. what kind of mpg are you seeing? and if so, what method are you using? and what type of miles with total distance are you driving during the week? i used to make the drive from murfreesboro to east nashville everyday and get about 21 mpg. now i drive from south nashville to east nashville and get around 19 mpg. i'm saving a ton of money though because i've cut my actual mileage by over half.

i find hyper-miling to be very dangerous. anytime you have the engine off, you can now not accelerate to avoid an accident and the steering is also more difficult due to the fact that the steering pump is off. simply avoid jack rabbit starts and hard braking. also keep tires filled with maximum recommended pressure. overfilling as some hyper-milers swear by is also dangerous due to blow-out dangers. also, keep your care tuned with new plugs, air filter and oil changes. what kind of mpg are you seeing? and if so, what method are you using? and what type of miles with total distance are you driving during the week? i used to make the drive from murfreesboro to east nashville everyday and get about 21 mpg. now i drive from south nashville to east nashville and get around 19 mpg. i'm saving a ton of money though because i've cut my actual mileage by over half.

supposedly 15 as well, but it never goes above 3/4 full for some reason... probably my laziness and hatred of standing at the pump. I can make it to Memphis on 1/4 a tank. I guess my earlier estimation of 300mpt was a little low - for city driving on a weekly basis it's rougly 350-400mpt

i have been partially hypermiling my whole life, but have never called it that, and refuse to now. Some ideas are good, others are bad.

NEVER TURN OFF YOUR ENGINE WHILE DRIVING!!!!

Doing so drastically reduces your ability to;

---steer--- by shutting off your steering pump

---stop--- by disabling you power assisted brakes

---not crash--- possibly locking your stearing wheel into place(a security feature, which could get you killed if your car is in motion)

Good ideas;

1. drive a manual transmission. (just makes it easier on you and your car)

2. keep your cars maintenance in good order.

3. don't accelerate to quickly.

4. coast down hills in neutral

5. coast to a stop in neutral.

6. anticipate what's ahead of you.

the main point is to use the gas pedal as little as possible. This takes alot of self-discipline.

When you are approaching a red light, do not stay on the gas until you must slow down. Try letting off(shifting to neutral) as soon as you see the light. Now you will coast to a stop and burn less fuel, and odd are that you will wait less time while stopped(getting 0mpg) and often the light will change before you have to full stop.

On hilly roads try coasting down hills, and see if your momentum will carry you over the next. This is very useful in middle Tennessee. Alow yourself to loose 10mph or so if you can gain that speed back on your way back down.

Now, the initial resistance to this technique is the feeling that other drivers will get mad at you. First off, i'm not talking about creeping for miles at 3mph, just simply slowing down naturally from 55-25 and then stop. Occasionally some jerk will swerve around you, but most people just slow down with you. When used in city driving, i often find that this helps me get in the groove of traffic light timing, and i can often cruise for miles without hitting a light(therefore, getting great mpg's).

Finally, drive the speed limit! Not only is it safer, you get better gas mileage while doing so.

It's best to start out using the coasting technique first. Get the feeling of it, notice the savings in fuel(and less stress from speeding to the next stop light), and then try some more advance techniques.

Tip; when driving a manual, if you coast at speed, before putting your car back into gear, try to double-clutch and rev-match to save the strain on your drivetrain. Get the hang of doing that, and it's smooth sailing!

• 2 weeks later...

I admit to being a terrible lead foot, espcially on the highway. I slowed down to five miles below the speed limit on the highway and was pleasantly surprised by an increase of 3 mpg. Plus I didn't realize how stressed driving so fast made me. I'm not nearly as tense when I arrive at my destination.

I admit to being a terrible lead foot, espcially on the highway. I slowed down to five miles below the speed limit on the highway and was pleasantly surprised by an increase of 3 mpg. Plus I didn't realize how stressed driving so fast made me. I'm not nearly as tense when I arrive at my destination.

Archived