PROPOSED: Tenth Square - Former New Haven Colloseum Site

There is currently a design competition for this site. I will try and put as many related articles links and comments here as my admitadly horrible attention span will alow.

OK SO SOMETHING MESSED UP WHILE POSTING THIS SO i WILL TRY AGAIN

We're looking for [about] 500 units, an office building and the retail. Probably $250 to $400 million. On Phase I $250 million and [the developer] to be prepared to put down at least one-third, $75 million in equity, which is totally comfortable for us.

IMG_1435.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

Edited by The Voice of Reason

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, lets see if we can flesh some of these out.

DSCF0098.jpg

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archive...l_urban_par.php

This looming first-class, 250-room hotel (pictured) is one idea thrown on the table as developers vie for the right to build on the ashes of New Haven's Coliseum.

Heyman Properties LLC

Heyman Properties is a Westport-based hospitality company. It owns and operates hotels in 13 states.

The Heyman submission (pictured above) includes a full-service, first-class, 250-room hotel on the same parcel of land to be occupied by the Long wharf theater. The hotel would be built above the theater's back-of-house space, leaving more than three acres of the site open for residential and commercial development.

The hotel would be a Marriott or a similar major hotel brand. It would include a restaurant, lounge, fitness center and 11,000-square-foot conference space with meeting rooms and banquet facilities.

Long Wharf Theater would open towards the corner of Orange and George Streets, with the hotel entrance placed right next door. The hotel would increase the theater's revenue by using theater facilities when the theater would otherwise be dark. Heyman would be flexible to working with a residential developer to undertake the residential component.

Northland Investment Corporation

The Newton, Mass.-based company proposes to expand the downtown with a new frontier called the "Tenth Square" (pictured below).

DSCF0101.jpg

The plan includes a thirty-story elliptical residential tower, 550 residences of mixed home-ownership and rental, an eight-story office building and parking for nearly 1,000 cars.

Like the Archstone proposal, Northland proposes to build a number of "green roofs."

The Richman Group Development Corporation

They propose 60 units of affordable housing, which would be attractive to "arts-related young professionals in the New Haven region work force." Housing would be split between a18-story tower including 150 one-and-two-bedroom condos; 45 townhouse condos; and a separate building of 60 rental apartments on eight floors. Other highlights:

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Tenth Square looks pretty awesome. The first one pictured looks very cool as well. Wish we had some solid proposals like these to choose from in Hartford right now. New Haven is absolutely going to blow up over the next couple of years though. I think it has the potential to blow right past Providence. Hartford is still bringing up the rear when it comes to desirability and urban living. It would be different if we had a Yale or a Brown near Downtown, it's just a good thing that we still have the corporate jobs.

I agree, Tenth Sq. does look like a really nice project. This site is filled with potential! Within walking distance of Metro-North, Amtrak, Shoreline East. New Haven has huge potential, if only the state would bury 95 to open up downtown to the waterfront! The entire Oak St. Connector should be removed and replaced with a grand boulevard, the potential for the corridor is HUGE. Perhaps Hartford should toy with the idea of converting the Whitehead Connector into a boulevard/linear park connecting Bushnell Park to the riverfront?

• 1 month later...

http://www.courant.com/business/hc-coliseu...0,5997254.story

this was posted in the front street thread.

As the largest building lot up for grabs in downtown New Haven, the 4.5-acre coliseum site would be an extraordinary canvas for any developer. For Northland, it could be the centerpiece of a new urban empire.

The company recently paid $4.8 million for more than 300 units of subsidized housing across from Union Station, a few blocks from the development site. What Northland plans to do there, and how that purchase might relate to the coliseum-site project, remains a mystery.

Interesting that he is buying other properties as well.

I am a little jealous of NH for getting Larys attention. I would not mind as much if the Jewell St Condo was being built. but I will remain patient or try to

Tenth Square looks pretty awesome. The first one pictured looks very cool as well. Wish we had some solid proposals like these to choose from in Hartford right now. New Haven is absolutely going to blow up over the next couple of years though. I think it has the potential to blow right past Providence. Hartford is still bringing up the rear when it comes to desirability and urban living. It would be different if we had a Yale or a Brown near Downtown, it's just a good thing that we still have the corporate jobs.

If Trinity didn't move for the state house I wonder if things would be different. I always thought it was odd that UCONN was not located in Hartford.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If Trinity didn't move for the state house I wonder if things would be different. I always thought it was odd that UCONN was not located in Hartford.

The University of Connecticut is a Land Grant University, founded for the purpose of Agriculture:

UConn is the state of Connecticut

• 10 months later...

Looks like 10th Square may be starting to stumble a bit. Northland still seems comitted though and I really wouldn't worry too much about this project yet. They are now talking about a phased develpment which is starting to sound very familiar everywhere around here.

New Haven Register

For now, the developer of choice remains Northland Investment Corp. of Massachusetts. But like any developer caught in the credit crunch, Murphy said Northland is hesitant to commit fully to a 1 million-square-foot development.

Murphy said when the city works out a contract with a developer, it requires a minimum amount of retail, commercial and residential construction.

• 4 years later...

The new development has been finalized with the Montreal developer.

http://www.courant.com/business/real-estate/hc-new-haven-coliseum-redevelopment-20131203,0,1985492.story

they are taking a much slower approach, but it still looks like it is just as grand as the Northland plan.

The Montreal-based developer, Live Work Learn Play, plans a $360 million development of hundreds of residential units, a hotel, an office tower, shops, restaurants and public spaces.

The first would include

a public square

380 mixed-income apartments, some of them row houses catering to larger families;

35,000 square feet of retail space, 24,000 square feet of space for seasonal, incubator businesses.

These buildings would be completed first, by 2016

A condo/Hotel 190-room, 41/2-star hotel with a conference center, a fitness and wellness center, and a spa.

An additional 100 to 200 upscale residential units — some of them condominiums — would be connected to the hotel and give tenants and owners access to the amenities of the hotel.

These buildings would likely be finished in 2017 or 2018, Reim said.

second phase

200,000-square-foot office tower

Another residential tower with as many as 500 units.

The project includes 1,500 parking spaces, roughly half underground and half on a parking deck.

Phase 2 is clearly where the two towers in the rendering come from.  They likely dont want to commit to all that right away.

looks like in total this project would include 880-1080 housing units.and the 190 hotel rooms.  this will add a huge ammount of vitality to that relatively small area.

Good for New Haven!

They are really killing it down there right now.

• 10 months later...

And here is some info on the state providing 20+ mill to support the project (mainly road stuff

http://touch.courant.com/#section/2282/article/p2p-81826993/

I really like the result here.  Its New Haven appropriate

nothing too tall but also plenty of retail and housing and a much needed hotel

Id love for the ballpark development to end up with this kind of density in Hartford. 

• 11 months later...

New Renderings released recently

http://wtnh.com/2015/10/15/new-plans-unveiled-for-old-new-haven-coliseum-site/

interesting and kinda silly qute 

“We are now in a very very positive place. Between Boston and New York we are probably the hottest city in terms of investment and people making from all around the city are adding to the strength of this,” said Matthew Nemerson of the New Haven Economic Development.

I mean, There is a crap load happening in Hartford, and an 850 Million development happening in Springfield.  I am not sure thats a well thought out comment.

also, Stamford whipes the floor with everything else.  and Steel point alone is rediculous