Los Angeles developers buy Old Saginaw City buildings

DetroitMan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Michiganders in Exile" lol!

I'd heard them called a lot of things, but never that. Sounds like we had some violent civil war or something. :)

On the actual subject, though, I agree. This will breath some fresh life into the area. I wish it was more than just two buildings, though. BTW, where is Old Saginaw within the city of Saginaw? West or East bank? I'm not familiar with the area.

Other developers are building a 4-5 story office building next to one of the mentioned buildings also. I have the rendering somewhere.

Anyway, it sounds great. I know most of that all is low income apartments.

LMichigan, this area is on the west bank about a mile south of downtown. Old Saginaw, Oldtown, West Saginaw, Hamilton Square... all the same place.

Have any pictures of the area? I've always thought of Saginaw is a historically interesting city since for its relative small size it seems to have absored quite a few different villages/cities before it reached it's current size.

Yes, please see if you can find the rendering of this new building. How is the developer?

The developers (I need to get the correct name) or pretty reliable as far as getting projects built. They've constructed (and filled) quite a few new office buildings in the area despite slow growth.

2133381749_d879b4bbed_b.jpg

A few businesses along Mich Av

2131499275_bd909152eb_b.jpg

This is still an industrial building for a tile company, but I believe it is partially least by artists

2133854411_3f96d00188_b.jpg

A building that was once boarded up and abandoned is now occupied by several businesses.

115003645_046c32dc2a_b.jpg

The stable is a very popular business for buying bikes, snowboards, and skies

I have tons more photos. The area is quite active and full of college students. It's sad that most people who visit Saginaw never see this area. There's also some beautiful homes nearby. See my Andre tour: http://flickr.com/photos/70205638@N00/sets...57602423124332/

• 2 weeks later...

I could not believe how cheap these buildings were going for. I am sure they need a lot of renovation, but still.

Also, if CMU gets a med-school going, Saginaw needs to go balls to the wall in order to get a piece of that and not let it slip out of the city into the burbs.

• 6 months later...
Other developers are building a 4-5 story office building next to one of the mentioned buildings also. I have the rendering somewhere.

Anyway, it sounds great. I know most of that all is low income apartments.

LMichigan, this area is on the west bank about a mile south of downtown. Old Saginaw, Oldtown, West Saginaw, Hamilton Square... all the same place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Drove by the "Walgreens" yesterday, what an ugly building. I can't believe the historical committee is letting them use colored split-faced block veneer? Oh, my! I had the wonderful job of designing Rite-Aid stores in Michigan for two very bland years. One of them was the corner of Michigan and Genesee. The crap we went through with the historical committee was unreal. We could not use split-faced block, no EIFS (although we got approval to use a little behind the signs) no awnings and because the big drip neon sign was there, they made us do the rite aid sign in neon (though I think it's fake neon). I guess the city is so desperate for development they would sell their historical soul.

Well. At least you didn't have anything to do with the Walgreens across the street that obliterated the antique mall. That whole corner has become entirely DEurbanized as of a few months ago. There's been plans for a "Westside Gateway" project for the two vacant parcels there, but I have no idea how that will pan out.

Archived