Columbia's performing arts

CorgiMatt

The South Carolina Philharmonic has named its new director. After a nationwide search and stiff competition, he was the overwhelming choice according to The State newspaper. He said the best part of getting the job is being in Columbia because of the synergy going on between the business community and the arts here.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8204820&nav=0RaM

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the closest relevant thread I could locate to make this post. According to The State, this evening, the Columbia Museum of Art is going to be the initial site for a "Blockbuster Impressionist Show" beginning next March. The show is going to feature works from Monet, Renoir, Cezanne and Van Gogh, along with lesser known artists. In my opinion, this is the most exciting art show to have ever come to Columbia. Besides, impressionism is my favorite style.

Impressionist Show

• 1 year later...

How could I forget that? My mom's people are from Orangeburg County and I know Orangeburg like I know my back yard. It reminds me that Columbia's Main Street should have its name returned to historically correct Richardson Street, since downtown Columbia no longer has a main street for shopping, entertainment, dining, etc.

I was being sarcastic. Columbia's Main Street is so often compared to another city's Main Street and gets no respect because of Columbia's amenities being spread all over the place off of the corridor formed by Main Street and it's cross streets. I was joking that maybe I should sulk because Orangeburg's stage theater is on their downtown's "Main Street" - Russell Street. Workshop has purchased land off of Elmwood adjacent to Elmwood Park for its future home. The building they were going to move to on Washington Street didn't work out and is now being renovated into a ballroom for the Sheraton.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived