Light-rail line for Woodward?

DetroitMan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a good thing, but it seems to me that they're just connecting two destinations. To be truly useful, it should connect residential areas with downtown, midtown, and New Center. That said, there is a growing population in midtown, and to a lesser extent, downtown, who would use such a system. Hopefully this could connect with the system being studied by the DTOGS. I would imagine that the two groups are working together to some extent...it wouldn't make sense to be planning two separate efforts to accomplish the same thing.

I think this would be good in the long run. Because if this privately funded line travels along Woodward, then DTOG can choose the Michigan Ave alternative and maybe continue along E Jefferson (to Indian Village) instead of Woodward.

Also, it will definitely connect more than two points (12 stops in all) and serve 30,000+ residents and thousands of workers, students, and visitors who don't live in the area. And as the area becomes more developed, it will serve an even larger population.

My guess:

New Center (between 2nd/Cass)

Milwaukee Junction/Commuter Rail Connection (between Baltimore/Milwaukee)

Techtown (between Burroughs/Harper)

Northern Midtown (between Palmer/Ferry)

University-Cultural Center (between Putnam/Warren)

Medical Center (between Willis/Canfield)

Orchestra Place (between Mack/Eliot)

Brush Park (between Temple/Alfred)

Foxtown (between Montcalm/Columbia)

Grand Circus Park/People Mover Connection (between Park/Clifford)

Campus Martius (between Gratiot/Monroe)

Hart Plaza (base of Woodward south of Jefferson)

Congratulations on your admission to Wayne, WayneTigers! :)

But, just so you're aware, there won't be any mass transit serving Wayne State while you're a student there.

The planning is so preliminary that there are really no details about the system yet. We'll just have to wait an see what is going on behind closed doors.

Thanks Michi!

I did some research on the Seattle Streetcar and found out that it mostly goes down the middle of the street. You pay on the train, not at a station and the ticket is valid for 2 hours. The streetcar ends at Westlake Transit Hub, where there is also a monorail stop.

A streetcar, or any sort of light rail would be a big plus, but I think extending the PM would be a lot better and more efficient. Of course I'm sure it would be much more expensive.

Not sure about a pay on the train system for a short route like this. It's works on commuter trains like Philly's SEPTA because there are a couple miles between stops to collect fare. But lets say 20 people get on at WSU, I cant see the workers collecting fare from everyone in the 20 blocks down to Grand Circus Park.

I ride the bus sporadically btw WSU and downtown and there is already a problem w/ terds who think they can get on on the rear of the bus w/o paying. The people on the bus get angry and kick the person off, where they go to the front of the bus and board there. There was even a time when some people offered to help a certain passenger out w/ fare, and when someone asked how much they needed, they said, "$1.50"...the total cost of one trip. That means that person didn't have even a fraction of the bus fare and yet expected to ride. I wouldn't doubt if this is a huge problem in Detroit.

I ride the bus sporadically btw WSU and downtown and there is already a problem w/ terds who think they can get on on the rear of the bus w/o paying. The people on the bus get angry and kick the person off, where they go to the front of the bus and board there. There was even a time when some people offered to help a certain passenger out w/ fare, and when someone asked how much they needed, they said, "$1.50"...the total cost of one trip. That means that person didn't have even a fraction of the bus fare and yet expected to ride. I wouldn't doubt if this is a huge problem in Detroit.

Archived