DHEC conducts meeting about proposed Powdersville landfill

erm1981

Seeing as that I own some land out near where this proposed landfill is going to be Im going to be one of the people that is definetly against this. There are some very nice subdivisions going up in the area that is adjacent to this and it will make values go way down. I have the fact sheet that they gave locales and they claim this landfill will have NO liner. A few hundred people came to Wren High school last night to rally against the landfill. Here is the story from the anderson independent news:

Vince Jackson/Special to the Independent-Mail

Thursday, February 21, 2008

http://www.independentmail.com/news/2008/f...-powdersville-/

"Several hundred residents attended a public hearing Thursday and expressed opposition to a proposed Powdersville landfill.

100_1203.jpg

<br>

100_1204.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like Rep Wilson proposed the kind of zoning that would have disallowed this kind of development in Powdersville, but the community reaction was so negative that he had to apologize for ever bringing it up.

I'm sure the community can and will defeat the proposed landfill (again). But it seems like zoning would be the longer term solution. Otherwise, every time some greedy landowner seeks to cash in at the expense of everyone else, the whole community is going to have to organize to fight for their peace and quiet (and health). That will wear everyone out eventually and someday one of these suckers will get through. Powdersville - it's time for some reasonable zoning.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah the pitfalls of having no zoning. The reality is that they could do whatever they want with that land.

Given that its almost 200 acres of land and only a 30 acre footprint, I think it would be well buffered. The problems would arise from the trucks coming and going. I would be opposed to this too, though, out of the principle of the thing. These things should be built further away from urban areas. Maybe southern Anderson County?

Just be glad this isn't Waste Management. They basically tried to force a landfill in Spartanburg County a few years ago, but nothing ever came of it.

The comment period has been extended until April 7th. I dont want it out there. The roads are not good enough to handle the big trucks going up and down through there. I work construction and they throw anything and everything into those dumpsters that leave the job. If that is not enough the trucks can come from anywhere in the country. Id much rather have the old man with the junkyard than a 150 ft tall landfill. A few quarts of oil is a little bit less than 57,000 tons of debri every years for 20+ years with who knows what inside of them.

They had already started building a very nice subdivision next to where the landfill is going to be. Here is the website for it

http://www.avendellsc.com/index2.htm

$300,000 - $500,000 dollar homes. Imagine what that will do to the value of those homes plus the ones that are already in the area. Spartan mentioned the trucks would be a nuissance but the noise from bulldozers and dump trucks dumping trash all day long will also get quite annoying and as many already know the noise from those kinds of machinery really echoes a long distance.

Yes, I am Robert Jenkins (not evil). Look, here is the deal. We looked at several different peices of land in Anderson, and the county pointed us in that direction. I am sending everyone a packet with letters from the planning commision and the county administrator that prove this point. The packet will also contain a list of every thing that will be acceptable in the landfill. Please feel free to comment once you have reviewed the entire packet. There was no illegal dumping. It was a load of concrete with wire in it that we plan to recycle into driveway. We are already certified to open a recycling center so we could do that tommorrow if we wanted. The point is, that we are trying to do this the best and cleanest way possible and make sure as much material as possible gets recycled. Really I appreciate your concern. It give me a platform to explain myself.

I know your just trying to do your job just like everyone else does, but I do want to express myself and my concerns for the project. I will be at the meeting to express my concerns along with everyone else. I do hope that the best approach is acheived for this project. Personally I really dont want it there but we will just have to see how it goes. A recycling center does sound better than a landfill though.

It would be more of a recycling center. My basic goal is to recycle 75% of the C&D materials that come accross the scale. I currently run one recyling facility, and have exceeded this criteria. The loads will go directly on a concrete pad, and will then be separated. No debris will hit the dirt until it has been separated. Any M.S.W. will be tranferred out and the rest will be reprocessed. Did you know that our property has been riddled with household illegal dumping? Maybe a Recycling center would stop people from hiding their trash in my woods.

We have walked the area before you ever owned it. We used to see people throwing old tires and shingles out. Its sad people want to just throw their garbage out like that. 3&20 household garbage dump is just down the road. Where is the location of the other recycling center that you run?

You should call me if you have any interest in the whole story,or what is the actual plan for the property. You know, very few people have contacted me personally over this, and I really think that I can help clear up matters. As I said before, I really do appreciate you taking the time and interest in even corresponding with me.

Radford Jenkins

864-233-0100

It would be more of a recycling center. My basic goal is to recycle 75% of the C&D materials that come accross the scale. I currently run one recyling facility, and have exceeded this criteria. The loads will go directly on a concrete pad, and will then be separated. No debris will hit the dirt until it has been separated. Any M.S.W. will be tranferred out and the rest will be reprocessed. Did you know that our property has been riddled with household illegal dumping? Maybe a Recycling center would stop people from hiding their trash in my woods.

Archived