Mid-Med Lofts Fail, Now going office

wolverine

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know. If you're only earning $700 per unit and there are 20 units you're only making $168,000 a year. It would take 20 years to earn the same amount of money that it would have taken if you had sold all of the units as condos. ($3.4 million over 20 years or $3.4 million over a year.)

Well, if office doesn't work they should do both rental and condo (if at least there is some interest).

My friend's apartment building in Chicago is half and half. Some people wanted to own their own place and what was left went rental. When the tenant leaves, it goes on the market as a condo. If it doesn't sell, it stays rental.

I guess the difference lies in In-and-out developers who "invest in the city" but really just make a big splash and a lot of quick cash versus those who really invest in the city and who are willing to stick around for the long hall. I wonder if the returns on a lengthy investment as such are higher. If that's the case, it seems to be symptomatic of our culture these days (in my opinion) that we're not as keen on investing for the long term. Maybe I'm overgerneralizing.

Archived