Carlton and Boland Buildings

joeDowntown

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grid Girl always teases us with talks of old pictures, but never shows us any of them.

I know that the building on the South side of Lake Dr. (003 on the map) has an SSP sign on it. That is the building I was envisioning, not the one to the north (across Carlton from Domino's).

Joe

Love to see your pix, GRGridGirl. My sense it that end of Eastown could feel like a much stronger anchor if 5/3 would close that branch and sell the land so it can be developed as part of a larger vision that ties Gilmore's use of Carlton and Fulton to Second Story's plans for Carlton and Lake Drive. Seems to me that if you can link the Rapid's #6 (Lake Drive) to the #14 (E. Fulton) with an electric streetcar shuttle down Carlton, that would really connect the dots...

Love to see your pix, GRGridGirl. My sense it that end of Eastown could feel like a much stronger anchor if 5/3 would close that branch and sell the land so it can be developed as part of a larger vision that ties Gilmore's use of Carlton and Fulton to Second Story's plans for Carlton and Lake Drive. Seems to me that if you can link the Rapid's #6 (Lake Drive) to the #14 (E. Fulton) with an electric streetcar shuttle down Carlton, that would really connect the dots...

Grid Girl always teases us with talks of old pictures, but never shows us any of them.

I know that the building on the South side of Lake Dr. (003 on the map) has an SSP sign on it. That is the building I was envisioning, not the one to the north (across Carlton from Domino's).

Joe

• 1 month later...

In Commercial Quarterly, there's an article about Second Story's purchase of these buildings and their plans:

) The Boland Building, on the South side of Lake Drive, will be completely gutted and renovated

) The Carlton Building, on the North side, only some exterior improvements will be made

They bought them because they are approached a lot about inexpensive office space for non-profits and other small companies. So I wouldn't expect to see a big major redevelopment project on the Boland corner.

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/20...+Get+A+Redo.htm

In Commercial Quarterly, there's an article about Second Story's purchase of these buildings and their plans:

) The Boland Building, on the South side of Lake Drive, will be completely gutted and renovated

) The Carlton Building, on the North side, only some exterior improvements will be made

They bought them because they are approached a lot about inexpensive office space for non-profits and other small companies. So I wouldn't expect to see a big major redevelopment project on the Boland corner.

http://www.grbj.com/GRBJ/ArticleArchive/20...+Get+A+Redo.htm

Yes,

Minor work on the Carlton Building has already started. The pace will pick up this spring, and work should be completed this summer. The Boland Building is in the design stage right now. Construction there will also get under way in the spring and finish by the end of the year. Concept Design Group is the architect for both projects.

Archived