Random Thought

The Voice of Reason

If the city can put together a $1.6 Billion bond package to do a complete overhaul of the cities sewage system what else is possible?

Those 1.6 Billion are for a 10 year project. A 10 year project that I am sure is needed, but one that does not pay any noticeable dividends. The city will look and function the same as it does now. It will not be in a better position to attract jobs or residents. Traffic will not get better or worse.

Would another 1.6 billion spent on transportation over the next 10 years be enough to deliver a mass transit system and re organized the highway system? If the city were bold, would the State and Federal money be there as well? If the city were to post a 2nd bond, for transportation improvements including the core of a rail network based in Hartford The state would surely back up its talk about regional rail and provide funds for the mass transit line. If the city put 20% of that money towards re-configuring I-91 and I-84 The state and feds would surely also chip in their fair share. The city could completely re make itself with that kind of money

how much does 1 Billion in city subsidy buy?

If the city were to take 1 Billion and use it purely for development purposes much like it did with the state money for Adrian's landing what could Hartford achieve. If the city focused that kind of money on smaller projects, and used it to leverage private investors what could be built? If Hartford accepted that it needed to help make some rich people richer in order to become the city it has aspirations of becoming and to achieve the tax base that it covets imagine what could be done.

Say Hartford needs about 2500 more people living downtown to give it that urban life that young educated people demand. Simple, the city could just give 50 Million to 10 different developers and demand condo high-rises of 250 or more units. Sure the developer would have to put 100-200 million in themselves, but it would eliminate that risk that keeps projects from happening. This would turn 500 million into 1.5-2.5 Billion in new projects for the cities downtown. Say the city came out with some kind of announcement with a 5 year plan. At the end of year 2 there would have to be at least 10 viable projects ready to start construction. The Bond would then be signed, and all projects would start within that year and be finished before the end of year 5 to get the monies. The city would have an entirely different energy after this and there would be so many temporary construction jobs as well as permanent jobs created that downtown would surely push past the tipping point. Also by providing such significant funding the city could also place demands on the buildings regarding parking garages, street level retail, and appearance.

Each of those new towers would bring the city between 3-4 million in taxes annually. This would easily cover the 14.5 million in semiannual bond payments.

The only question would be as to what the other 500 million could subsidize in the job creation market.

like I said.. random thoughts

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are losing the right to use the name the Voice of Reason with this quote.

"A 10 year project that I am sure is needed, but one that does not pay any noticeable dividends."

Flush the toilet and if it works, that is an important dividend. Sanitation is one of the most important jobs of any government. It is absolutely vital to the health and well being of city residents. Without adequate sanitation, there would be no city, just a pile of corpses.

You are losing the right to use the name the Voice of Reason with this quote.

"A 10 year project that I am sure is needed, but one that does not pay any noticeable dividends."

Flush the toilet and if it works, that is an important dividend. Sanitation is one of the most important jobs of any government. It is absolutely vital to the health and well being of city residents. Without adequate sanitation, there would be no city, just a pile of corpses.

I think you are misunderstanding my sentiment in that quote. I know its a necessary cost, and in fact its quite a big deal of a city to pursue a project like this, but as I said its really just fixing things we do not see.

I am in no way suggesting we spend the 1.6B on other projects, but musing about what an additional 1.6B could do. Above ground.

think of it as "wow the city can do this!" "what else could the city do?"

any other questions to my state of reasoning should be brought up with the makers of Dayqill. :)

Cheers

Well, the major obstacle is the fact that the city in no way has access to $1.6B. The money was approved through a special referendum held in all MDC member towns. So unless Hartford can call a special referendum and get the burbs to pony up another $1.6B for downtown condos and mass transit on top of the $1.6B going into the sewer, I don't think we would ever see anything like that. Don't get me wrong, it would be spectacular though.

Archived