Meijer

1370186.jpg

If we're going to begin appealing to higher authorities in lending credence to our opinions I'll see your Charles Fishman and raise you one Warren Buffett.

Suydam,

I guess I don't know where you stand on the issue or what your point is; my fault.

If you're saying Wal-Mart doesn't want a union, then yes, you are correct.

Best,

Ryan

Tamias,

Could you provide me with how much per hour Wal-Mart pays a full-time employee compared to Meijer?

I also think it is very elitist of you to assume you know that Wal-Mart employees are 'slaves'. Wal-Mart employees have been able to vote whether they want a union or not. Thus far, they've voted against it.

Much like most of the auto-plants in the South run by foreign companies have voted not to go union.

Presumably, these folks know what is in their best interest, no?

I do look forward to you answering my question about comparitve pay between Meijer and Wal-Mart.

Thank you,

Ryan

According to info I found on the UFCW's website about Wal-Mart, Wal-Martization of Worker's Wages and Overtime Pay, the average hourly wage of a Wal-Mart employee is $8.93 per hour according to independants studies. This falls below basic wage stadards and also below the poverty line. Wal-Mart claims they pay $9.68 an hour on average nationally. Even that is still below the poverty line because a "full time" worker at Wal-Mart only works 34 hours a week vs. 40 hours.

Here's another interesting read about Wal-Mart wages.

I'm still digging for exact numbers for Meijer's wages. However to my understanding, full time Meijer store employees are UFCW workers with the execption of Meijer stores in Indiana which are non-union. Union wages averages $10.61 per hour. That's still low as far as putting food on the table but better than Wal-Mart.

As for "slaves" I'm not picking on Wal Mart employees themselves. Infact, I'm using that word empathically because I am bone picking the dismal working conditions they are subjected to and the meager compansation provided. If the average Wal-Mart wage is barely able to keep a worker and his/her family just above the poverty line, even with the help of federal and state aid (second hyperlink above), then in my book, that constitutes slave like conditions.

I have a feeling this will touch off a debate in of itself and send this thread spiraling off topic, so maybe its time for a "Wal-Mart" thread if there is not one on UP already. :D

According to info I found on the UFCW's website about Wal-Mart, Wal-Martization of Worker's Wages and Overtime Pay, the average hourly wage of a Wal-Mart employee is $8.93 per hour according to independants studies. This falls below basic wage stadards and also below the poverty line. Wal-Mart claims they pay $9.68 an hour on average nationally. Even that is still below the poverty line because a "full time" worker at Wal-Mart only works 34 hours a week vs. 40 hours.

Here's another interesting read about Wal-Mart wages.

I'm still digging for exact numbers for Meijer's wages. However to my understanding, full time Meijer store employees are UFCW workers with the execption of Meijer stores in Indiana which are non-union. Union wages averages $10.61 per hour. That's still low as far as putting food on the table but better than Wal-Mart.

As for "slaves" I'm not picking on Wal Mart employees themselves. Infact, I'm using that word empathically because I am bone picking the dismal working conditions they are subjected to and the meager compansation provided. If the average Wal-Mart wage is barely able to keep a worker and his/her family just above the poverty line, even with the help of federal and state aid (second hyperlink above), then in my book, that constitutes slave like conditions.

I have a feeling this will touch off a debate in of itself and send this thread spiraling off topic, so maybe its time for a "Wal-Mart" thread if there is not one on UP already. :D

Why are they working there, then? Why, when a Wal-Mart opens up are there more applicants then jobs? "Average" tends to be a poor statistic in this area also. Median is much better.

I just find it condescending of you (though admirable, because I know you mean well) to think you know better then them.

If you care about the Wal-Mart employee why not shop there and tip the cashier $20 every time? <tongue in cheek>

I purposely said full-time, because I beleive Wal-Mart caters more to a part-time work force. Really, I would just like to know what a, say, third year cashier makes at Wal-Mart versus Meijer.

Wal-Mart makes 3.5% Net Profit. Which isn't much. What do you feel is appropriate for a Net Profit margin for a business?

-Ryan

Yeah, saying Wal-Mart workers face "slave like" conditions is a joke. I used to work at a Wallyworld's Sam's Club store many years ago and it was a pretty easy, clean and actually enjoyable job. The problem is is that cashiers and department sales people treat those jobs as careers. They're supposed to be entry level jobs.

I just can't stand Wal-Marts because they're stinkholes, and aggressively (on a corporate level) attack and destroy small businesses around them, by strong-arming vendors and anyone else they deal with.

Really, they can't do better than the subhuman conditions tamias6 says they're working in?

Once again, I'm guessing, but no. Take for example Hastings. The amount of unskilled labor probably far outweighs the amount of jobs available. So when Walmart opened, of course they're going to have a flood of applicants. Anyone can do that job.

Yeah, saying Wal-Mart workers face "slave like" conditions is a joke. I used to work at a Wallyworld's Sam's Club store many years ago and it was a pretty easy, clean and actually enjoyable job. The problem is is that cashiers and department sales people treat those jobs as careers. They're supposed to be entry level jobs.

I just can't stand Wal-Marts because they're stinkholes, and aggressively (on a corporate level) attack and destroy small businesses around them, by strong-arming vendors and anyone else they deal with.

I rarely shop at Wal-Mart; mainly because I rarely shop and when I do it's for food stuff.

But, I also think this "strong-arming" vendors is quite a myth or that small businesses are the zenith in the retail world. When I was in high school I worked for Oppenhuizen's Produce in the Town and Country complex (44th and Kalamazoo).

I was paid under minimum wage due to some agricultural clause. IIRC minimum wage was $3.15 and I was getting paid by good old Mom & Pop $2.85.

And, since it was my high school years and I was working with several friends, I loved it.

On the vendor myth:

Yes, Wal-Mart is a tough negotiater. No doubt about that. But, I look at the Financial Statements of quite a few businesses that have Wal-Mart as a large customer (say over 15-20% of said vendor's revenue).

And these companies do quite well - better than Wal-Mart on most financial metrics.

So, much like the IRS, Wal-Mart loves have the rep for being a pitbull. And, they can be tough, but the bark is much worse then the bite.

And, in any event, it isn't like Costco is a walk in the park for suppliers...

-Ryan

On the vendor myth:

Yes, Wal-Mart is a tough negotiater. No doubt about that. But, I look at the Financial Statements of quite a few businesses that have Wal-Mart as a large customer (say over 15-20% of said vendor's revenue).

And these companies do quite well - better than Wal-Mart on most financial metrics.

So, much like the IRS, Wal-Mart loves have the rep for being a pitbull. And, they can be tough, but the bark is much worse then the bite.

And, in any event, it isn't like Costco is a walk in the park for suppliers...

-Ryan

It would be very interesting to see the financial data on businesses with Wal-Mart as a large customer. As I said earlier in this thread, a number of venders represented in Wal-Mart have special "Wal-Mart" lines in their factories that manufacture products of reduced quality in order to meet Wal-Mart's demand for reduced costs.

-----------

GR Dad, I think, pointed out a fundimental factor of Wal-Mart's problem when it comes to decent jobs. They are entry level jobs only ment as a stepping stone and not a career. It's a safe bet that a lot of Wally World employees will only work there until better work with higher pay can be had. But in places where Wal-Mart has K.O.ed all other competitors within the market area, many are forced into working at Wal-Mart as they are virtualy the only available jobs left. Also with Wal-Mart as one of the most dominate companies in the US econamy, they are calling the shots, forcing manufacturers to lower costs and in many case ship jobs over seas or go out of business further cutting the number of available Jobs in the US. (Frontline: Is Wal-Mart good for America?)

An old H.S. economics teacher I had led me to believe that the worst enemy to local small business was the penny saver and their discovery of buying in bulk. I was under the impression it is the local shopper which demises local small business, not Walmart. However, I will say that providing a choice that costs $2.99 cheaper dosen't help either.

I would imagine being a world company with power including various connections around the globe comes with certain perks. :dontknow:

It would be very interesting to see the financial data on businesses with Wal-Mart as a large customer. As I said earlier in this thread, a number of vendors represented in Wal-Mart have special "Wal-Mart" lines in their factories that manufacture products of reduced quality in order to meet Wal-Mart's demand for reduced costs.

I knew a buyer for Meijer who would go to the orient to purchase wool shirts. I don't recall the exact numbers, but to make the point I'll say that Meijer was buying 10,000 shirts. Wal-Mart buyers would be at the same vendor buying, I'll say 1,000,000 shirts. Who paid less per shirt? It is amazing that Meijer competes as well as they do against Wal-Mart. With thousands of stores Wal-Mart has a significant influence on a large portion of the world market - wholesale and retail.

Surprisingly, Wal-Mart has given up on Germany. http://www.icsc.org/srch/apps/newsdsp.php?...amp;region=main

"As of June 30, 2006, the Company had 1,156 Wal-Mart stores, 2,074 Supercenters, 566 SAM'S CLUBS and 104 Neighborhood Markets in the United States. Internationally, the Company operated units in Argentina (12), Brazil (293), Canada (278), China (60), Costa Rica (130), Germany (85), Guatemala (119), Honduras (37), Japan (394), Mexico (807), Nicaragua (35), Puerto Rico (54), El Salvador (59), South Korea (16) and the United Kingdom (322). " http://investor.walmartstores.com/phoenix....p;p=irol-irhome

I was frequenting Meijer's over the weekend to buy some produce. I noticed that Meijer likes to buy local. This was evidenced when I was in Charlotte's Meijer expecting to find familiar local stuff to GR, but supprised to find their local produce. I asked a clerk there and they kindly said that Meijers has a policy to support local growers as much as possible. I don't know if this is in similar practice with Walmart or not, but its interesting.

I was frequenting Meijer's over the weekend to buy some produce. I noticed that Meijer likes to buy local. This was evidenced when I was in Charlotte's Meijer expecting to find familiar local stuff to GR, but supprised to find their local produce. I asked a clerk there and they kindly said that Meijers has a policy to support local growers as much as possible. I don't know if this is in similar practice with Walmart or not, but its interesting.

Yet another entry to my long list of reasons why I prefer Meijer over Wal-Mart.

Lately I've been reading the farmer labels on stuff like blueberries. Sometimes there's a noticeable difference between ones from, say, Holland vs those from South Haven. Many of the apple bags are labeled with their origin, as well.

Wally probably buys so many truckloads of stuff that they can't spec local growers over those in Kalifornia. The few times I've bothered looking at WM groceries, I've been underwhelmed with quality and price.

Yet another entry to my long list of reasons why I prefer Meijer over Wal-Mart.

I would assume it would make business sense to import local goods rather then import through a huge distributor a distance away for any product. Especially when its time sensitive and diesel fluctuating. I understand not everything can be made local, but there aren't many excuses for foods not to be purchased through local growers.

My distributor is out of Warren Michigan and because of the energy prices I'm looking at 13-14 cents per case delivered. It doesn't sound to high, but when things are tight and I get 6-6,500+ lbs of product every Tuesday and Friday it adds up substantially. With a local contracted distributor on this side of the state sending locally grown foods I think we could save our customers the cost transfer as opposed to a corporate decision to just buy our food from who they think is best because of affiliation and contract them with the gamble of diesel costs.

Lately I've been reading the farmer labels on stuff like blueberries. Sometimes there's a noticeable difference between ones from, say, Holland vs those from South Haven. Many of the apple bags are labeled with their origin, as well.

Wally probably buys so many truckloads of stuff that they can't spec local growers over those in Kalifornia. The few times I've bothered looking at WM groceries, I've been underwhelmed with quality and price.

Interesting...

On another note

I'm a freak when it comes to "fresh" foods, and its odd to me that when I go to Meijers it seems as though I'm the only one in the department -- not a very popular section. I love the colors and smells and its just like an event for me to look forward.

Edited by Rizzo

On another note

I'm a freak when it comes to "fresh" foods, and its odd to me that when I go to Meijers it seems as though I'm the only one in the department -- not a very popular section. I love the colors and smells and its just like an event for me to look forward.

Do you mean the produce department? Whenever I shop at the Knapp location, I practically have to claw my way to the green beans!

Do you mean the produce department? Whenever I shop at the Knapp location, I practically have to claw my way to the green beans!

Yah, but if I'm shopping at Meijers I stick to my favorite: the Clyde Park Location. BTW stay away from the Pink Cow (whatever it's called) ice cream, there's hardly any chocolate chips in the Mint ice cream! Hello, we need chunks please.

Edited by Rizzo

I've been the Knapp corner location before. I do find the layout of the produce department a bit confusing. However the newer Meijer stores designed by David Rockwell are very easy to navigate across the board. As a budding Graphic Designer, I know that presentation is a very important aid in getting products to sell well. A product placed correctly in a clean well laid out sale floor well sell better than the same product poorly placed in a cluttered sales floor. A better example would be two bags of potato chips. One is blazened with flashy graphics and sales mascots while the other is plainly labeled by ho-hum package design. Assuming that both bags of potato chips are the same price, chances are the chips with the flashy design will outsell the chips with the ho-hum design despite both being the same item sold at the same price. As a budding designer, I'm blown away at the graphics program of Meijer's new store format. Of course David Rockwell is on my list of favorite designers :wub:. I'm lucky to have one of his works only a half mile away from home. None the less, Meijer's new store format is a great asset as they face the likes of Wal-Mart and Target. Hopfully all the older stores in the chain will be replaced or retrofitted with the new format.

One more thing, it seems that Wal-Mart is currently undertaking a new graphics program, such as adding wood floors in the clothing department and upgrading singage as well as new lighting, which started not too long after Meijer switched to its new layout. Maybe its just coinsidence, but I read that as a direct responce to Meijer latest batch of stores.

Last few times I've visited family in Tennessee (where Wal-Mart is THE grocery option) they've had blueberries from Grand Junction, Michigan.

Let's not forget that part of why Meijer buys local is because they CAN.

I'd imagine Meijer fruit in Kentucky is also from Michigan.

Yah, but if I'm shopping at Meijers I stick to my favorite: the Clyde Park Location. BTW stay away from the Pink Cow (whatever it's called) ice cream, there's hardly any chocolate chips in the Mint ice cream! Hello, we need chunks please.

Rizzo, silly - it's Purple Cow :)