Downtown Birmingham Hotels

DRJWAREAGLE

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not even sure of what the other hotel is and I work just 2 blocks from the District. I heard that it might be a Westin, but who knows.? It would make sense though, as Birmingham is one of the largest markets in the nation without a signature Westin hotel.

To my knowledge, there have been 3 planed Westin hotels in recent history. The first was part of the orginal dome stadium plan and was to be 28 floors and serveral hundred rooms. The 2nd proposal was to build a new tower at the site of the city school building at 20th avenue, and it house a Westin hotel. The third and final plan came 2 years ago when a Westin was planned in the parking lot of Colonial Brookwood Mall. Well, hopefully Westin will finally find a spot in Birmingham, and build at the BJCC Entertainment district. But if it is a Westin, I hope it will have more than 140 rooms. I'd like to go back to the 28 story plan, but with the entertainment district along with it.

I believe the Marriot at the Region Plaza is a go. The 2 hotels at the BJCC Entertainment District are also probably going to happen. I'm not so sure about the Federal Reserve Lexington Group project or the Southisde Resident Inn, or the Hyatt Place. But right now I'd bet on the Marriot and 2 hotels at BJCC.

• 7 months later...

Downtown Westin proposal revived?

Langford is trying to get the Birmingham Board of Education to sell their downtown HQ building which would be both beneficial to the school board as well as the city overall. Whether or not the BOE agrees is the real question. But if you remember, some time back, a developer had expressed interest in building a Westin hotel on the BOE site. Not sure whether this would revive that previous proposal, but Langford does seem to have in mind a developer that intends to build a hotel on that site. Sure would be great if it came to pass.

Langford is trying to get the Birmingham Board of Education to sell their downtown HQ building which would be both beneficial to the school board as well as the city overall. Whether or not the BOE agrees is the real question. But if you remember, some time back, a developer had expressed interest in building a Westin hotel on the BOE site. Not sure whether this would revive that previous proposal, but Langford does seem to have in mind a developer that intends to build a hotel on that site. Sure would be great if it came to pass.

Archived