growing pains for downtown Greensboro

cityboi

Over the past several years Greensboro's downtown nightlife has blossomed. Today so many people are coming downtown in the evenings (especially during the weekend) that its causing some problems. There are several saftey issues. Many times people walk in large groups and hang around on the sidewalks which forces people to walk in the street to get around them. Some people are now having a perception that downtown is not safe, particularly for women. On the weekends, groups of bikers come downtown and there have been complaints of them harrassing females as they walk by (cat calling). In one case, some of these thugs punched a police officer out. The city is already addressing the issue with a new ordinance that prohibits loitering on the sidewalks. Another ordinance prevents bikers from parking multiple motercycles in one parking spot. The city is now looking at what other cities have done to make downtown a safer place. What suggestions do any of you have?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I commented on this problem in another thread a while back and how the city was losing control fast. I have heard from so many people who don't go downtown on weekends anymore, especially women, because it has become a headache and they don't feel safe. Some of these people live in the immediate areas like Fisher Park and Southside. I am glad to see they are addressing the problem before it gets any worse and that the downtown businesses are the ones raising the issue.

I think the starting point is to get the cops who are already out there to make more of an effort to show their presence. I can't believe how many times I see the designated "downtown" officers hanging out in groups of 4 or more on the corner talking. These officers should be constantly walking on weekend nights and they should speak up and let people know they are there. Sometimes I wonder if they are out there to pick up ladies too?

I think the loitering ordinance is a very good start from the city as long as it is fairly and reasonably enforce. I think the motorcycle ordinance won't do much other than take up crucial parking spaces by making motorcycle riders take up a whole space each. They need to stop the cruising and the loitering and that should take care of most of the problem.

I commented on this problem in another thread a while back and how the city was losing control fast. I have heard from so many people who don't go downtown on weekends anymore, especially women, because it has become a headache and they don't feel safe. Some of these people live in the immediate areas like Fisher Park and Southside. I am glad to see they are addressing the problem before it gets any worse and that the downtown businesses are the ones raising the issue.

I think the starting point is to get the cops who are already out there to make more of an effort to show their presence. I can't believe how many times I see the designated "downtown" officers hanging out in groups of 4 or more on the corner talking. These officers should be constantly walking on weekend nights and they should speak up and let people know they are there. Sometimes I wonder if they are out there to pick up ladies too?

I think the loitering ordinance is a very good start from the city as long as it is fairly and reasonably enforce. I think the motorcycle ordinance won't do much other than take up crucial parking spaces by making motorcycle riders take up a whole space each. They need to stop the cruising and the loitering and that should take care of most of the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
I really find that part of these new regualtions kind of self-defeating. You want more folks downtown, but not letting more than one motorcycle in a parking spot takes up valuable parking spaces. Hopefully the police will not 'stringentlly' enforce this regulation.

I don't either, I can understand if the bikers are yelling out obscenities at people but if they're just hanging around then I don't see a problem. I wish people in this area would wise-up and learn that every place you go isn't going to be made family-friendly and sterile.

I don't either, I can understand if the bikers are yelling out obscenities at people but if they're just hanging around then I don't see a problem. I wish people in this area would wise-up and learn that every place you go isn't going to be made family-friendly and sterile.

I spent some time downtown this weekend for the first time in a while and I'm not sure if it was the cooler weather or not but things seemed to be fairly easy going over the weekend. Not the usual crowds on the street but lots of people in the bars. While I think the motorcycle parking rule doesn't make a lot of sense it seems to be keeping people from loitering in the streets. Now if they could handle the cruising thing they would almost have made great strides. We were sitting on the patio of a bar and saw some guy, who was all by himself (HA!), drive by in his truck at least 10 times on Elm Street. That is absolutely ridiculous and yes we counted. I guess he is at least working to warm up the environment and I know I can't wait to be able to grow palm trees in my yard!

Anyway I don't think anyone is looking for a "family-friendly and sterile" downtown but rather one where adults can enjoy themselves, people are respectful and act like adults (this is hard to do when alcohol is involved), and where people are actually visiting the establishments not having a party in the street. Also you want a place where women feel safe, the "cat calling" doesn't help with that image, otherwise you'll have a downtown with just a bunch of guys and who wants that?

I spent some time downtown this weekend for the first time in a while and I'm not sure if it was the cooler weather or not but things seemed to be fairly easy going over the weekend. Not the usual crowds and a lot less people hanging out on the streets. While I think the motorcycle parking rule doesn't make a lot of sense it seems to be keeping people from loitering in the streets. Now if they could handle the cruising thing they would almost have the perfect downtown. We were sitting on the patio of a bar and saw some guy, who was all by himself (HA!), drive by in his truck at least 10 times on Elm Street. That is absolutely ridiculous. I guess he is at least working to warm up the environment and I know I can't wait to be able to grow palm trees in my yard!

Anyway I don't think anyone is looking for a "family-friendly and sterile" downtown but rather one where

cityboi "Ive noticed that people like to drive those fancy cars and show off to be seen. You see them drive through several times. You'll see alot of Mercedes, Porches, Jaguars, BMWs, Hummers and even the really exotic cars like Ferarris and Lamborghinis."

Not sure all those cars can be called classy cars anymore (many of them are quite affordable these days) but I don't think you'll find the "classy" people who drive those cars to be the ones cruising. I actually know the guy who drives the yellow Lamborghini, not sure there is another one in town but I could be wrong, he and his wife usually go to Churchills or Much and his car is parked out front and he's gone by midnight. Can't say I've ever seen him cruising. Same thing with the guys who drive the Ferarris, in fact I haven't seen them around lately. Most of the cruising is done by kids in trucks with neon lights or older cars pact with guys hanging out the windows. I think most of the cruisers are underage kids who are looking for something to do since they can't go into the clubs or they are the people who were haning out on the streets and now they have moved to their cars due to the cold weather and loitering laws.

cityboi "Ive noticed that people like to drive those fancy cars and show off to be seen. You see them drive through several times. You'll see alot of Mercedes, Porches, Jaguars, BMWs, Hummers and even the really exotic cars like Ferarris and Lamborghinis."

Not sure all those cars can be called classy cars anymore (many of them are quite affordable these days) but I don't think you'll find the "classy" people who drive those cars to be the ones cruising. I actually know the guy who drives the yellow Lamborghini, not sure there is another one in town but I could be wrong, he and his wife usually go to Churchills or Much and his car is parked out front and he's gone by midnight. Can't say I've ever seen him cruising. Same thing with the guys who drive the Ferarris, in fact I haven't seen them around lately. Most of the cruising is done by kids in trucks with neon lights or older cars pact with guys hanging out the windows. I think most of the cruisers are underage kids who are looking for something to do since they can't go into the clubs or they are the people who were haning out on the streets and now they have moved to their cars due to the cold weather and loitering laws.

Archived