UP Website Speed

Why has the Urban Planet website become so slow? I access the site from several different computers and use a cable modem and a LAN fed by a T1 and have a very noticeable delay in page viewing. I imagine some of it is the new imbeded Livesearch feature but other than that I haven't seen anything different. Anyone else having problems or know what is up?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why has the Urban Planet website become so slow? I access the site from several different computers and use a cable modem and a LAN fed by a T1 and have a very noticeable delay in page viewing. I imagine some of it is the new imbeded Livesearch feature but other than that I haven't seen anything different. Anyone else having problems or know what is up?

I assure you that it isn't our server that is slow. I recently upgraded to a new server with more capacity that we currently need in order to prevent this. I am currently on a T1 here at work and things are very speedy on UP and I haven't noticed any speed issues since our server move last month.

It is most likely a data switching center between your ISP and your site destination such as Flickr, UrbanPlanet, etc. I have had issues like this in the past where UP would work great for me but certain sites like Flickr would be down or very slow.

I also assure you that the new inline IntelliTXT ads do not affect the speed of this site. Those ads are only loaded AFTER everything else on the page has loaded completely. This eliminates any inline ads from being the cause for a slowdown.

I've just noticed it since the Livesearch feature was added. Before, even a page filled with photos would load instantly. Now even if a page has no photos it has a very annoying delay loading. I use a lot of security programs (firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-pop-up, etc) on my home computer but my laptop I carry with me only has a firewall and antivirus and it is slow also. My work laptop connection has a lot of filtering software but still is fast on other sites. It feels like I've go back in time to dial-up days. :(

I just refreshed this page with cache clearing (Ctrl+F5 in Windows) and the page loaded in roughly two seconds for me. If you will PM me I will get some details from you to see if I can tell where the bottleneck is coming from.

After some experimentation it looks like part of the problem is that the phishing protection feature in Norton Internet Security doesn't like the Livesearch feature onsite. Turning it off decreases the delay quite a bit. I remember when that feature was first added from Norton I had to turn off the pop-up that appeared asking if you wanted to allow each site. That was really annoying. I'll experiment some more and report back on what else I come up with.

Archived