Five Points South development

kayman

Five Points paying price of success

Many residents and business owners in the Five Points Commercial Revitalization District have seen their property values go up at least 50% in the last year alone. Many elderly residents have said that it is getting impossible for them to pay their morgages for their dwellings due to being on a fixed income. The area has seen a drastic increase in the number of condos, clubs, and bars in the area mainly from the growth of the number of younger residents.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Looks like it will get a new name too.

The Hotel Highland at Five Points South

Probably best... gives more of a sense of its location. Having that "5 Points" as part of the name will probably attract a few more visitors knowing that its in the heart of Birmingham's nightlife.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Major renovation plans for Five Point South

Five Points South Neighborhood Association and tenents have laid out major plans for the district. The Grape will be reopened in November as the La Mesa Restaurant & Cantina and also the former space that was occupied by Soca Clothing is being purchased by Schaeffer Eye Center and relocation of the optical center. This in turn will free up the current location where Schaeffer occupies to a new restaurant & bar. Also the Pickwick Place retail and restaurant area is now under major renovations to revamp the place with new look and new tenants that will be named a later date.

It seems that Five Points South is very serious about revamping and expanding their district to remain the top nightlife and cosmopolitan restaurants, clubs, and bars in the Birmingham area. I think the incoming competition from the The District @ the BJCC and the possibility of the creation of the Theater District will be a good thing for all.

Five Points South Neighborhood Association and tenents have laid out major plans for the district. The Grape will be reopened in November as the La Mesa Restaurant & Cantina and also the former space that was occupied by Soca Clothing is being purchased by Schaeffer Eye Center and relocation of the optical center. This in turn will free up the current location where Schaeffer occupies to a new restaurant & bar. Also the Pickwick Place retail and restaurant area is now under major renovations to revamp the place with new look and new tenants that will be named a later date.

It seems that Five Points South is very serious about revamping and expanding their district to remain the top nightlife and cosmopolitan restaurants, clubs, and bars in the Birmingham area. I think the incoming competition from the The District @ the BJCC and the possibility of the creation of the Theater District will be a good thing for all.

They really need to address security issues in Five Points. I grew up around Five Points, In the late 80's I was one of those punk kids that would hang around the fountain at all hours of the night. I know the area well and had never felt uncomfortable there until my most recent outings there. I think BPD has been trying to increase there patrols but it's still going to take more effort.

I agree with the prescence of more Birmingham PD, but I think a CAPS Southside would be great to just remain in that area.

I wonder what type of retail stores would locate to Pickwick Place. It has a cool look and feel, and it needs to be better. I know that I would shop there since I live right down the street. I talked to a representative of American Apparel(a very cool clothing store) for a potential store. Most of their stores are urban stores that are made to fit whatever neighborhood they are in. I told them that Five Points South, Lakeview, or just on 20th Street would be great choices for a potential store. I was told that they are expanding as fast as possible, and that she would be sending their scouts a message, and that they hope to see a Birmingham location in the near future.

• 4 months later...

Hungry Howie's Pizza is opening a location at the former Plaza Cleaners parcel on 11th Avenue South. This would be the restaurant's 2nd location in the metro area (aside from the one in White Stone Center in Alabaster). It is set to be open from 11 a.m. to midnight everday, but will look toward remaining open as late as 2 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays to accomodate the growing UAB student population. This is another "test location" and with its success the chain plans on opening 15-20 location in the Greater Birmingham area.

• 8 months later...

The Birmingham City Zoning board has approved for a new CVS to replace the old one at the intersection of 14th St South, and 11th Ave South. The apartments there are to be raised. There is no word on the what will become of the old CVS. That site, along with the former Italia Express restaurant site, are prime sites for future developments because of the proximity to UAB campus residents, and area residents.

Work on the Pickwick Place "mall" is really underway. I saw what seems to be an agressive push to make that place a happening place once again.

I heard that the city is trying to place a fountain in the middle of the actual FIVE Points intersection. That would be a really, but I wonder if it would cause chaos for motorists traveling through that intersection.

With these projects, as well as the new Residence Inn, I hope that Five Points South is well on it's way to being the place work, play, and live in Birmingham.

Interesting developments on the new CVS location considering the campany made recent exterior updates to the current location's facade to have to look so-what similar to the newer locations. However, I hate to see another business such as Italia Express will be forced out to make room for the store. On the fountain in the center of Five Points South would be a good asethetic addition to the area. Now if we can get all the streets repaved so that my front-end alignment has to be redone ever 6 months.

• 4 weeks later...
Interesting developments on the new CVS location considering the campany made recent exterior updates to the current location's facade to have to look so-what similar to the newer locations. However, I hate to see another business such as Italia Express will be forced out to make room for the store. On the fountain in the center of Five Points South would be a good asethetic addition to the area. Now if we can get all the streets repaved so that my front-end alignment has to be redone ever 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...

The city is busily repaving all the street in the 5 Points South area in advance of the PapaJohns.com Bowl. According to 'The Terminal' the central intersection will be painted red with the logo of the 5 Points Merchants Association on it.

http://bhamterminal.com/blog/2008/11/17/fi...ars-completion/

large photo of work in progress:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xabbu/3038522205/sizes/o/

The city is busily repaving all the street in the 5 Points South area in advance of the PapaJohns.com Bowl. According to 'The Terminal' the central intersection will be painted red with the logo of the 5 Points Merchants Association on it.

http://bhamterminal.com/blog/2008/11/17/fi...ars-completion/

large photo of work in progress:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xabbu/3038522205/sizes/o/

Archived