Update.......Little Rock National Airport.

...and one other comment:  I had assumed that when SWA cut back on Dallas Love flights, that this would only HELP American to DFW since available seats would have to be made up (it's not like people wouldn't go to Dallas at all just because flights were reduced from five to three on SWA).  However, ironically, American has pulled their mainline service since then - so just the opposite!  Very perplexing.

...and one other comment:  I had assumed that when SWA cut back on Dallas Love flights, that this would only HELP American to DFW since available seats would have to be made up (it's not like people wouldn't go to Dallas at all just because flights were reduced from five to three on SWA).  However, ironically, American has pulled their mainline service since then - so just the opposite!  Very perplexing.

Ha I somehow forgot the most important airport in that comparison!  I added just for comparison sake.

It is odd that American didn't step up service to fill the void of those lost flights but neither airline has seemed pressed to add anymore flights.  According to the article SWA added one additional daily flight but seems like it is going back down to 3 as of Nov 1.  I travel to St. Louis a good bit for business and am very glad the direct to STL is coming back.  The limited flexibility with flight options on SWA isn't fun.

An additional interesting note for LIT; it seems in 2015, Delta is seeing about a 9% increase each month compared to 2014 while both SWA and AA are declining.

Edited by Gentileking

• 1 month later...

According to THV 11, a new airline is supposed to be announced that will serve Clinton National at 1pm tomorrow.

Hopefully it is something exciting and to a new destination!  

On another note I flew out of LIT this past weekend and tried out the new parking deck system, it was pretty neat and seemed to work really well.  It was nice being able to see which aisle's had open spaces and which spaces were open before driving down.  I liked it and hope it continues to work well. 

Looks like the new airline is called GLO and will now offer two flights to New Orleans during the week and one on weekends. Not that exciting.

Though it may not seem exciting, it's great to know we have flights being added and not subtracted. This may open up an opportunity to get more airlines that are low cost to other destinations that are more exciting. Something is always better than nothing.  Plus this flight was going to happen with Delta, but Katrina hit so they never added it. 

• Like 1

They will rotate between New Orleans, Little Rock, Memphis, and Shreveport with three, 30-passenger Saab 340B aircraft. One way fares starting about $160.

I couldn't find any fares for less than $220 one way making the price $499 for roundtrip.

Delta (via Atlanta) and United (via Houston) offer flights on the same days for $307 roundtrip.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since September the number of passengers using the airport have increased over 2014. Now for the bad news. The Memphis Business Journal reports that airfares in Memphis are now lower than Little Rock. The average round-trip for Memphis is $419 while Little Rock is $445. The article is titled, " Average Memphis airfares fall below Little Rock's".

4 hours ago, skirby said:

Since September the number of passengers using the airport have increased over 2014. Now for the bad news. The Memphis Business Journal reports that airfares in Memphis are now lower than Little Rock. The average round-trip for Memphis is $419 while Little Rock is $445. The article is titled, " Average Memphis airfares fall below Little Rock's".

You just had to figure that would happen when Delta de-emphasized Memphis and now Southwest and Frontier are there.  

5 hours ago, Arkanzin said:

You just had to figure that would happen when Delta de-emphasized Memphis and now Southwest and Frontier are there.  

Yeah, I concur...I think LIT is going to have to absorb some blows for a few years from the downgrading of MEM from a hub and the sunsetting of the Wright Amendment in Dallas (Love Field).  If you look back 20 years, traffic is DOWN more than 20% while the population is UP more than 20%!  What an ironic turn.  I'm relatively confident that boardings will stabilize, and even grow as the metro continues to increase in size.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone heard anything on the previously planned terminal renovation for the airport?  I know the originally planned expansion is on hold due to declining passengers but as recently as 6 months ago there was a planned $20 million renovation to the concourse and gate areas.  I flew through the airport back in May and don't recall seeing the sign up near the security line showing the plans anymore.

I was just looking at the passenger statistics and noticed, through May, that passenger count was up 3.2% this year so it got me wondering.  While that isn't strong growth it is better than the decline seen that last several years.

12 hours ago, Gentileking said:

Has anyone heard anything on the previously planned terminal renovation for the airport?  I know the originally planned expansion is on hold due to declining passengers but as recently as 6 months ago there was a planned $20 million renovation to the concourse and gate areas.  I flew through the airport back in May and don't recall seeing the sign up near the security line showing the plans anymore.

I was just looking at the passenger statistics and noticed, through May, that passenger count was up 3.2% this year so it got me wondering.  While that isn't strong growth it is better than the decline seen that last several years.

The original intent was to implement the full Phase II of the Terminal Renovation project (Vision 2020), which entailed completely rebuilding the concourse with 18 gates. It was contingent on rising emplanements (which has been elusive until 2014 and now this year), as well as FAA approval of increased rates for landing fees airports can charge nationwide (also not yet implemented).

As the commission realized that the threshold criteria weren't going to be met for 6, 8, or possibly 10 years, they approved a stop-gap Concourse Renovation project which entails upgraded finishes, furniture, technology, etc. That project has been approved, bid, and is about to start construction in the next month or so. 

2 hours ago, Architect said:

The original intent was to implement the full Phase II of the Terminal Renovation project (Vision 2020), which entailed completely rebuilding the concourse with 18 gates. It was contingent on rising emplanements (which has been elusive until 2014 and now this year), as well as FAA approval of increased rates for landing fees airports can charge nationwide (also not yet implemented).

As the commission realized that the threshold criteria weren't going to be met for 6, 8, or possibly 10 years, they approved a stop-gap Concourse Renovation project which entails upgraded finishes, furniture, technology, etc. That project has been approved, bid, and is about to start construction in the next month or so. 

The concourse update will include new arrival and departure monitors, new seating with outlets to charge devices and new jet bridges.

6 hours ago, theman said:

The concourse update will include new arrival and departure monitors, new seating with outlets to charge devices and new jet bridges.

Correct...I was just giving a general overview.  It will be a noticeable improvement.

Coincidentally, there's an article in today's DemGaz about the airports improved profits and boardings through the first six months.  Strangely, the article focuses almost exclusively on the financial improvements and says almost nothing about increased enplanements...probably because the profit increase is more impressive.  Interesting that the accompanying photo shows a mainline Delta jet that is clearly a 737 (800 I would presume).  That's a rare bird at LIT to date, as we're mostly served by MD-90's/B717's...that's a good sign, as the 737 is newer (and I think larger) equipment.  Delta is phasing out the older MD series and replacing them with B737's, so this will be a continuing trend.

12 minutes ago, Architect said:

Correct...I was just giving a general overview.  It will be a noticeable improvement.

Coincidentally, there's an article in today's DemGaz about the airports improved profits and boardings through the first six months.  Strangely, the article focuses almost exclusively on the financial improvements and says almost nothing about increased enplanements...probably because the profit increase is more impressive.  Interesting that the accompanying photo shows a mainline Delta jet that is clearly a 737 (800 I would presume).  That's a rare bird at LIT to date, as we're mostly served by MD-90's/B717's...that's a good sign, as the 737 is newer (and I think larger) equipment.  Delta is phasing out the older MD series and replacing them with B737's, so this will be a continuing trend.

Thanks for the update, I'll have to check out the article!

My parents are flying to Europe next week, through Atlanta, and as I was helping them pick their seats I noticed their aircraft to ATL is shown as a 737 so it's nice to have that upgrade.