Inner suburbs

bhamsly

Ok, am I the only one who feels as if the inner suburbs of Homewood, Mountain Brook, Tarrant, and Irondale should have been apart of the city of Birmingham? I looked at a Rand McNalley Road Atlas, and I noticed that the city of Birmingham did not cover much of the city map...being that the city limits look so small. These particular cities are right outside the Birmingham city limits. Cities such as Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Memphis, Jacksonville, FL, and Louisville have much larger inner city limits which make them more diverse than Birmingham(even though some of them not much though). If Birmingham would have annexed these cities when it was possible, Birmingham may not have such a declining population. People in old Ensley and other old neighborhoods that felt invaded by people not as wealthy or of the same race(both which are stupid), would not have fleed to the suburbs, but in a different part of town. This would make Birmingham a city for all, even though there is a small portion of that. Also, with fewer suburbs in the county, the individual governments could come together to make the region better.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, am I the only one who feels as if the inner suburbs of Homewood, Mountain Brook, Tarrant, and Irondale should have been apart of the city of Birmingham? I looked at a Rand McNalley Road Atlas, and I noticed that the city of Birmingham did not cover much of the city map...being that the city limits look so small. These particular cities are right outside the Birmingham city limits. Cities such as Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Memphis, Jacksonville, FL, and Louisville have much larger inner city limits which make them more diverse than Birmingham(even though some of them not much though). If Birmingham would have annexed these cities when it was possible, Birmingham may not have such a declining population. People in old Ensley and other old neighborhoods that felt invaded by people not as wealthy or of the same race(both which are stupid), would not have fled to the suburbs, but in a different part of town. This would make Birmingham a city for all, even though there is a small portion of that. Also, with fewer suburbs in the county, the individual governments could come together to make the region better.

Ok, am I the only one who feels as if the inner suburbs of Homewood, Mountain Brook, Tarrant, and Irondale should have been apart of the city of Birmingham? I looked at a Rand McNalley Road Atlas, and I noticed that the city of Birmingham did not cover much of the city map...being that the city limits look so small. These particular cities are right outside the Birmingham city limits. Cities such as Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte, Memphis, Jacksonville, FL, and Louisville have much larger inner city limits which make them more diverse than Birmingham(even though some of them not much though). If Birmingham would have annexed these cities when it was possible, Birmingham may not have such a declining population. People in old Ensley and other old neighborhoods that felt invaded by people not as wealthy or of the same race(both which are stupid), would not have fleed to the suburbs, but in a different part of town. This would make Birmingham a city for all, even though there is a small portion of that. Also, with fewer suburbs in the county, the individual governments could come together to make the region better.

Archived