Walk Score

f1rehead

This is kind of fun:

http://www.walkscore.com/

(The server has been bogged down, so be patient and keep trying.)

The site computes a "walk score" that purports to quantify the walkability of your neighborhood based primarily on the number of and distance from stores, restaurants, services, etc. I don't think it really has a lot of value other than entertainment. Apparently it has given high scores to some areas that don't even have sidewalks!

Interestingly, our new house on the West Side has a higher score than where we lived on the East Side (Wayland Sq.): 65 vs. 58.

Share and enjoy!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting site. They do mention their algorithm isn't perfect and can't take certain things into consideration, but I think it was a pretty accurate assessment. Looks like the bookstore and movie theaters hurt me the most. I still don't have a problem walking to the movies though. Been living car free since July 1st and never been happier!

post-8160-1184797331_thumb.png

post-8160-1184797331_thumb.png

my house scored an 88. the thing that killed mine was movie theatres and day care with a couple of each being over a mile away. however, i don't like their assessment of grocery stores, though i suppose with elmwood ave and westminster as close as they are, the ones they list do count (tropical market on westminster, and a couple on elmwood ave), even though i'd never walk to them (well, westminster maybe).

wow! i doubled over my old place (in elmhurst), which scored a 43.

Just tried this for my Elmhurst residence. I scored a 60%.

This is kinda sad funny:

Coffee Shops

Dunkin' Donuts 0.16 Mi

Dunkin' Donuts 0.65 Mi

Cafe Four Tweleve 0.67 Mi

Brooklyn Coffee & T 1.03 Mi

Dunkin' Donuts 1.08 Mi

Dunkin' Donuts 1.08 Mi

Tim Horton's 1.14 Mi

Dunkin' Donuts 1.3 Mi

I like this one, too:

Bookstores

Amazing Videos 1.37 Mi

Miko Lingerie & Exo 1.61 Mi

Ouch. 25.

I live in suburban hell. Though it does seem to account for most of the businesses near me (except for a couple of very new places that have just been built) it apparently calculates the distance in a straight line. So even though there are grocery stores, for example, that I could walk to fairly easily, they are not listed as being the closest to me. The grocery stores that are a little "closer" according to them are, well, let's just say you can't get there from here in anything like a straight line, so they really are not walkable in any sense of the term. :)

Just tried this for my Elmhurst residence. I scored a 60%.

This is kinda sad funny:

Coffee Shops

Dunkin' Donuts 0.16 Mi

Dunkin' Donuts 0.65 Mi

Cafe Four Tweleve 0.67 Mi

Brooklyn Coffee & T 1.03 Mi

Dunkin' Donuts 1.08 Mi

Dunkin' Donuts 1.08 Mi

Tim Horton's 1.14 Mi

Dunkin' Donuts 1.3 Mi

I like this one, too:

Bookstores

Amazing Videos 1.37 Mi

Miko Lingerie & Exo 1.61 Mi

I got a 55 for Summit and a 91 for my old neighboorhood on the College Hill/Fox Point line. The search factored in the Stop n Go convenience store on the corner of Hope and John but none of the convenience stores up Hope and No. Main that are connected with gas stations (Cumberland Farms, Hess Express, etc.). It also did not include Not Just Spices, which is a bonafide market. My local bookstore is Amazing Superstore and my local clothing shop is some uniform place I've never heard of.

I got a 55 for Summit and a 91 for my old neighboorhood on the College Hill/Fox Point line. The search factored in the Stop n Go convenience store on the corner of Hope and John but none of the convenience stores up Hope and No. Main that are connected with gas stations (Cumberland Farms, Hess Express, etc.). It also did not include Not Just Spices, which is a bonafide market. My local bookstore is Amazing Superstore and my local clothing shop is some uniform place I've never heard of.

My current Wayland Square locale scores a 78 while the rustic community in NY's Hudson Valley where I grew up scores... 0/100! The closest amenity to my childhood home is 3.23 miles while the killer was the bookstore, at about 11 miles away (and I'm not sure that one is open anymore!).

The Wayland Sq info is waaay out of date, including "Walter's" restaurant (which I think closed 4 or 5 years ago at least).

- Garris

Definitely not entirely accurate but a very cool idea. Where I grew up (1/4 mile from the Boston line in Newton) got a 17 because there was nothing to walk to - which is why I have to live in a city now. Even though Newton has great, walkable neighborhoods, mine just wasn't.

Anyway, now I score a 75 for College Hill.

interesting... i just did it again and my score increased to an 89. i did my former home in suburban CT and it got a 40. i did my fiancee's former place in philly and it got a 94. and my old place in elmhurst decreased to a 42. i bet google was updated.

Archived