PROPOSED: West River Lofts

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This proposal has been around for quite a while with projected battles between the developer's lawyer and the abutter's lawyer playing out before the City Plan Commission. The battle last night devolved into the minutia of footnotes in the city zoning ordinances. It would seem to me, though the intent of the 2006 amendment to the zoning ordinance was not to remove residential uses from the M1 zone, that it in fact did, unless said residences were live/work space (which this proposal is not). CPC approved the plan knowing that the amendment will force the developer to seek a variance from zoning (unless the City Council acts to fix the error in the amendment, which seems unlikely seeing as the Council is fixing to approve a new Comprehensive Plan, not work on amending the current one).

So it would seem that the developer has a tight window in which to receive his variance and begin work before the new Comprehensive Plan is approved (the new Comp. Plan would not allow residential in this zone, and I believe labels this area a "Jobs Zone").

While the current zoning intends to allow residential in this area, and the developer may well in the end get approval to build this (with the abutter's lawyer nipping at his heals the entire way), I think he is kookoo bananas to want to build residential at this location. The zoning (as intended) requires that condo buyers sign a covenant agreeing that they understand that this is an industrial area, and that they will not get relief from noise or dust or whatever other nuisances are created by the industrial uses. I.E., "before you buy this condo, please sign this paper saying that you understand this is a crap place to live."

awesome. those would make even better live/work areas.

the problem is they're not really near anything (except amazing, which, from what i could tell after hearing a cop talking to my barber, you can also get drugs there). they're blocked by the train tracks on one side, charles st speedway on the other, and 95 on the other. they're not too far from the UH plaza, but you gotta cross north main for that. at least you'd be able to walk to the branch ave S&S.

It is an odd, but not bad place to live I'd say. The industry that is there is just office park type stuff, which are not even open at night or most weekends. Worst thing you might have is large mail delivery trucks. Can't imagine that it would be loud, except for the train.

• 2 months later...
Things are about to get a little interesting around there. Besides this property being besides Amtrak lines, it's a stone throw away from the Charles St Home Depot, which by the way opens up @ 7am. However, workers are in there way before then, working indoors & out. It's also adjacent to the sprawling gated surface parking lot for USPS employees which has three sets of in/out secure gates which constantly squeeks when they open & close. The USPS operates 24/7, 365 days a year. Across from 148 West River St, and next to USPS property, is a massive piece of land which sits abandon and neglected, but not for long.

Providence P&D expansion plans. Current plans call for the facility to be expanded by 152,000 sq ft. Architects from the URS Corp are currently designing the structure from top to bottom. URS is anticipating having the building at 100% design by October, 2007. At that point the project will go out to the street for bid. The selection of a general contractor will take place in January, 2008 with mobilization of a contruction crew by February, 2008.The new expansion building will include the latest in automation, mechanization and robotic processing equiptment. The building will also house three new Flat Sequencing Sorters which are each said to be the lenth of a football field. No new jobs are expected to be created.

Archived