Alpine Ave. Wal-mart Construction Updates

So I head inside and the first thing I noticed was all the skylights that are in the new wal mart. If one would notice, when it's a nice and sunny day out, the store lights most of them are turned off until nighttime. They are probabily doing this to save energy.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think this is a great idea. Last year I was at a Wal-Mart Supercenter in Phoenix, AZ on a sunny afternoon and they only had a single row of lights around the perimeter of the store turned on. There was so much natural light coming in that you really didn't even notice until you looked up and saw that the fluorescent lighting was off. I wish Meijer would incorporate this into some, if not all, of their stores. Obviously the energy savings would not be as great in Grand Rapids as they would be in Phoenix, but I would think they would pay for themselves in a relatively short period of time, not to mention the non-monetary benefits of energy conservation.

• 2 weeks later...
The old Alpine wal-mart looks to have been completly demolished. It was kind of hard to see from Alpine avenue. We never went up close to see it. Therefore, it was hard to get pictures. But it looks like it's completly gone now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well you've heard the rumor folks, but here it is: Is it true this is Michigan's first Super Wal-Mart? Sheesh, it's huge. Old Wal-Mart is completely gone now.

2782045530_205859ceca_b.jpg

The only redeeming feature is the view. And I noticed that this Evergreen Properties' development has a new "Thai Basil Cafe" on the South end:

2782046422_904edda11a_b.jpg

This new Wally world is Kent County's first Walmart Supercenter. As for the immediate future of this building don't be suprise that within the next few years to see the new lower case logo with the funny asterisk thing-ga-ma-bob replace the current signage.

Here's old and new side by side.

walmart_logo.gif

Archived