Cities of Belgium - Pt. 1

Ronald

I went on an excursion with Planning students and staff from my Uni last week, for 8 days we explored all of Belgium.

I'll post 4 threads, two of Brussels, one of cities in the Flemmish part of the country (where Dutch is spoken) and one of cities in the Walloon region of the country (where French is spoken).

Part 1: Brussels

This is a world city, being the capital of the EU, the NATO, the Brussels city region government, the Flemmish region government, The Flemmish community government, The Walloon community government and the Federal government. It used to be a Dutch speaking city in the beginning of the 20th century, noways 90% of the pop. is french-speaking. Out of 1,5 million inhabitants, 250,000 are from countries in the EU, 500,000 are from mediterranean countries (mostly Morocco, Turkey, Italy and Spain), hundreds of thousands are from the former colony of Congo and from all over the world.

Everyone is from somewhere else, you can say.

The city is also the centre-stage in the language battle going on between the dutch speaking and the french speaking groups.

(continued from part one)

Inner-city ringroad, which is shaped like a pentagon ('de vijfhoek')

IMG_1867.jpg

IMG_1868.jpg

Social housing in a poorer residential district in the inner city.

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1885.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

An abandonned train station

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

signs of immigrant presence are everywhere

IMG_1882.jpg

Around the European neighbourhood

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The neighbourhood in the city region with the highest population density, just outside of the inner city.

IMG_1921.jpg

IMG_1920.jpg

Reminds you of HK?

IMG_1918.jpg

Around governmental buildings of the EU

IMG_1924.jpg

This neighbourhood reminded me a lot of 'Mitte' in Berlin: postwar, grid street layout, considerable density, broad avenues, etc.

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

EU government buildings.

Art inside the council of europe building.

IMG_1952.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1942.jpg

In front of the main building of the council of Europe.

IMG_1930.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

Nice park in a residential neighbourhood adjacent to the European neighbourhood.

IMG_1939.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

Lastly: an expo on architecture in the EU neighbourhood

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

Next: the newtown of Louvain-la-Neuve

Great stuff!

The Council of Europe project wasn't quite done when I was there last. It is a very intimidating complex to say the least. I sort of like it though none the less.

The new Brussel's skyline is very interesting too. What is the background on that?

IMG_1875.jpg

That is low-income housing? The ones immediately below it do look something less desirable.

^ I agree, I'm not sure I like that amount of graff all over the city. Was it isolated to where you were at? Or is it widespread?

Archived