"Doc-in-a-Box" Clinics

A couple of nights ago, a family member needed some minor medical attention, however since we're in transition from old to new family doctor. We decided to go to the walk in medical clinic located in the Alpine Ave. Meijer. The doctor did a good job at giving treatment. Now the concept of Medical Clinics in a retail space such as Meijer is new to me so I did some looking around to find out more about them. Turns out that such places are a growing trend. The Detroit based outfit that owns and operates the clinic at Meijer has one in the Plainfield Ave. Meijer as well along with several in other Meijer stores. It also plans to open more in Meijer stores through out the chain.

According to...

this article

...a Los Vagas company is also planning to open clinics in several Meijer stores too. Other retailers such as Target and Wal-Mart are getting into the act by bringing in clinics into their stores. Lastly, Wal-Greens and Rite-Aid have clinics in several of their store locations. So it appears we will be seeing more of these clinics in the future.

So what are your thoughts on medical clinics in retail spaces? Are they a good idea or a bad idea?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Medical Clinics owned by the Detroit firm are not on insurance networks yet. But they are working on that. I don't know about the Las Vagas outfit though. However their fees are very reasonable which makes them great from folks in a pinch or the uninsured that need basic medical care. As for as what they can do, they will deal with minor abrasion. colds, flus, physicals, the basic stuff. What they can't do is more intensive medical treatment such as dealing with a cancer patient, or broken bones. That kind of stuff still requires heavy duty guns like Spectrum's Med Centers, Hospitals, and ER's.

Archived