10,000 new jobs coming to BAFB/Bossier City?

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was "Front Page News" in yesterday's The Advocate in Baton Rouge. The entire state is pulling for SBC to land this fantastic project!!! Jindal will give it his best shot!

Jindal sets sights on new Cyber Command center

Gov. Bobby Jindal said Monday that Louisiana can play a leading role in the recent U.S. military focus on defending the country

This was "Front Page News" in yesterday's The Advocate in Baton Rouge. The entire state is pulling for SBC to land this fantastic project!!! Jindal will give it his best shot!

Jindal sets sights on new Cyber Command center

Gov. Bobby Jindal said Monday that Louisiana can play a leading role in the recent U.S. military focus on defending the country

The enormous defense and aerospace conglomerate, Northrop Grumman, has signed on as a supporter of Bossier City's Cyberspace Inovation Center, and has presented the center with a $50,000 sponsorship.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/80125022

This is a huge step forward for Bossier City, guys...

The enormous defense and aerospace conglomerate, Northrop Grumman, has signed on as a supporter of Bossier City's Cyberspace Inovation Center, and has presented the center with a $50,000 sponsorship.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...NGNEWS/80125022

This is a huge step forward for Bossier City, guys...

Very nice coup!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think it's a private-public venture...

I knew the gov't had a role, but wasn't sure if it was federal or state. Right now, I think it's a state/local push to try to get AFCYBER to Barksdale. It's a huge gamble if that's the case. I just read that the military is advising states against investing in infrastructure to try to attract the command to their base.

I just read that the military is advising states against investing in infrastructure to try to attract the command to their base.

Hopefully, that's a good thing for us. With us already placing millions into action, that will hopefully increase our chances of landing the comand permanently at Barksdale.

CIC will be an attractive research park even if AFCYBER doesn't come here. It's being built as a joint local/state project. Fifty percent of the funds are coming from Bossier Parish and 50% from the state, with Jindal being absolutely committed.

The reason states are being urged against it, despite the simple fact that the Air Force is having a hard time committing, is because they want this to be a truly "cyber" command and they don't want to run it from any one particular location.

I know the architects on the CIC project and I know that they are literally working day and night, and on weekends, to meet deadlines in getting the construction project moving along. People simply don't realize the scope of this project ... it's mind-boggling.

CIC will be an attractive research park even if AFCYBER doesn't come here. It's being built as a joint local/state project. Fifty percent of the funds are coming from Bossier Parish and 50% from the state, with Jindal being absolutely committed.

The reason states are being urged against it, despite the simple fact that the Air Force is having a hard time committing, is because they want this to be a truly "cyber" command and they don't want to run it from any one particular location.

I know the architects on the CIC project and I know that they are literally working day and night, and on weekends, to meet deadlines in getting the construction project moving along. People simply don't realize the scope of this project ... it's mind-boggling.

I wonder how successful the CIC will be if AFCYBER goes elsewhere. If I understand it right, it's supposed to work together with the command and universities to do research. The area doesn't have any major universities, and the schools are mostly liberal arts/business in focus. I'm interested in seeing how that's all going to work out.

I wonder how successful the CIC will be if AFCYBER goes elsewhere. If I understand it right, it's supposed to work together with the command and universities to do research. The area doesn't have any major universities, and the schools are mostly liberal arts/business in focus. I'm interested in seeing how that's all going to work out.

A research park doesn't need a major university nearby to be a success. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. With the right corporations in place, the park can be a success without AFCYBER or any major university. Besides as far as I knew the only involvement CIC would have with universities was for getting people properly trained and educated. People can be transferred in if there isn't a local base for that type of education.

I certainly won't say I have all the answers, but I don't think it's correct to say that CIC could only be a success if it had the backing of a university.

I just want to see the project become a success, regardless. But I still remain cautiously optimistic that AFCYBER will locate here.

A research park doesn't need a major university nearby to be a success. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. With the right corporations in place, the park can be a success without AFCYBER or any major university. Besides as far as I knew the only involvement CIC would have with universities was for getting people properly trained and educated. People can be transferred in if there isn't a local base for that type of education.

I certainly won't say I have all the answers, but I don't think it's correct to say that CIC could only be a success if it had the backing of a university.

I just want to see the project become a success, regardless. But I still remain cautiously optimistic that AFCYBER will locate here.

nope sure doesn't cummins in Huntsville doesn't have a major university near it.. and it's the second largest in the nation..

I'm under the impression that the CIC is supposed to do research with universities. For example, CERT is located at Carnegie Mellon University, if you want something to compare to. I'm curious as to what's going to go on there once it's all done.

nope sure doesn't cummins in Huntsville doesn't have a major university near it.. and it's the second largest in the nation..

Sorry I have to butt in here... but Cummings does have a major [research] university next to it- the University of Alabama in Huntsville (UAH). Without UAH, Cummings would never have been a success. It has provided CRP with a steady stream of new scientists and engineers.

Shreveport/Bossier City will be have a hard time in creating a research park and maintaining it with a steady educated workforce without a local science/engineering university. La. Tech is a bit too far IMO. You could recruit from outside, but Huntsville's currently having a problem with finding young, highly educated people to replace and fill the thousands of jobs that are coming every year. Many don't want to leave the larger cities (Atlanta, DC) and downgrade to a "boring" family-oriented mid-size city- even so, Huntsville's still recruiting in these cities, with mixed results. And with the current economic downturn, those who want to come to Huntsville can't sell their houses. Having UAH has helped with keeping talent in Huntsville that is already here, and has helped fill these positions that wouldn't have been filled without a university here.

I'm glad you found this thread and posted. Being from Huntsville and seeing all the dynamics regarding Cummins firsthand, you offer very valuable information.

Yeah UA Huntsville is definitely a big enough college ... larger than even LSU Shreveport. It's more in line with LA Tech, which as you stated is too far away. I don't really know, though, if I agree that Tech is too far away when a large percentage of our local population (young and mature students alike) already attend the school.

I also feel that Shreveport-Bossier is no more exciting than Huntsville (both areas have their strengths and weaknesses, and neither is Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, etc.)

So now I say ... I'm still hoping for the best, AFCYBER or no AFCYBER. Sorry I can't offer much more here, I'm just passing thru!!

I'm glad you found this thread and posted. Being from Huntsville and seeing all the dynamics regarding Cummins firsthand, you offer very valuable information.

Yeah UA Huntsville is definitely a big enough college ... larger than even LSU Shreveport. It's more in line with LA Tech, which as you stated is too far away. I don't really know, though, if I agree that Tech is too far away when a large percentage of our local population (young and mature students alike) already attend the school.

I also feel that Shreveport-Bossier is no more exciting than Huntsville (both areas have their strengths and weaknesses, and neither is Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, etc.)

So now I say ... I'm still hoping for the best, AFCYBER or no AFCYBER. Sorry I can't offer much more here, I'm just passing thru!!

Huntsville is pretty cool I think.. I just wish it would start growing UP instead of adding so many friggin 4 way stops!!! My wifes grandparents live over in Harvest and sometimes it can be crazy driving around there.

• 11 months later...

Archived