Traffic question

marc_ri

When you are driving north on Eddy St. and it curves to the right and goes under 195 you come to a light at Dyer St. I believe. The traffic on Dyer is one way going South, there is nothing going North. So why won't they let you take a right on red there? When they first put that light in you could go right on red and it really kept things moving. Now you can't and I don't understand why. I know this isn't a big deal, just curious if anyone knew some special reason.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When you are driving north on Eddy St. and it curves to the right and goes under 195 you come to a light at Dyer St. I believe. The traffic on Dyer is one way going South, there is nothing going North. So why won't they let you take a right on red there? When they first put that light in you could go right on red and it really kept things moving. Now you can't and I don't understand why. I know this isn't a big deal, just curious if anyone knew some special reason.

If it is where I'm thinking it is, then yes. Pedestrians should be crossing there to avoid the tangle of lanes leading to 195 West if they are walking south.

Personally, I don't think there should be right on red anywhere in an urban area. The red light is when pedestrians are supposed to be crossing. NYC has no right on red anywhere (I think that's statewide, many states don't allow right on red).

There's a lot of "No right on red" intersections that don't make sense. Welcome to Providence :-p

Specifically, Admiral and River comes to mind - I don't know why you can't make a right on red there, and to make matters worse there are cameras - so you can't even pull into DD on red without having your picture taken.

Personally, I don't think there should be right on red anywhere in an urban area. The red light is when pedestrians are supposed to be crossing. NYC has no right on red anywhere (I think that's statewide, many states don't allow right on red).

I agree that right on red in urban settings may not be the best idea but at the intersection I mentioned originally there is almost no pedestrian traffic, in fact I'm not sure if there is even a crosswalk there. As a driver I just feel that it can get pretty backed up at that light since it is the exit ramp from 195 and anything to keep the traffic moving is greatly appreciated.

I agree that right on red in urban settings may not be the best idea but at the intersection I mentioned originally there is almost no pedestrian traffic, in fact I'm not sure if there is even a crosswalk there. As a driver I just feel that it can get pretty backed up at that light since it is the exit ramp from 195 and anything to keep the traffic moving is greatly appreciated.

Archived