News Place on Ellis Square

cocateho

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this willl be a big draw for the bay street area, there is alot of traffic anyways, with the hotels .. and its the main street over from river street... Ellis Square I heard will have a information booth for the tourist also, so its going to be a great area..... as for the finish date i dont know, but I know theyve started the process for building....

My girlfriend and I made a trip down to savannah this past weekend to visit her parents, and there is a red mobile crane on the news place site. The Underground parking deck is about ready to pour the second floor in some sections, but there is still a lot of work to go, with only about 1/4 of the bottom floor of the parking deck poured. On a side note there is a nice white tower crane up at ellis square, I'll post pictures when I load them off my camera.

• 1 month later...

hey yall they are finally going vertical on the news place! they got the first story finished on one of the buildings either today or yesterday. it is quite exciting lol.

p.s. ~ this has nothing to do with the news place, but im suprised noone has mentioned that we are getting an 8 story holiday inn express on bay st. its not huge or anything but 8 stories in a bit more than you usually find people building down there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How busy do you think this area will get, Im thinking because of the closeness to city market and ellis square it will have alot of foot traffic.. and adding the Ruth Chris Steakhouse should make this a destination for tourists and locals.... I was reading it will have a nice courtyard for walking from river street area to the city market areas..... also it seems that this will be where all of the locals and tourists will park there cars (under ellis square) so it will generate alot of foot traffic....... but do you think the Savannah River Landing development will definelty be where to go and open up new businesses in the near future? and why?

How busy do you think this area will get, Im thinking because of the closeness to city market and ellis square it will have alot of foot traffic.. and adding the Ruth Chris Steakhouse should make this a destination for tourists and locals.... I was reading it will have a nice courtyard for walking from river street area to the city market areas..... also it seems that this will be where all of the locals and tourists will park there cars (under ellis square) so it will generate alot of foot traffic....... but do you think the Savannah River Landing development will definelty be where to go and open up new businesses in the near future? and why?

• 2 weeks later...

they finished the structural part for the shorter of the new buildings along bay. cant wait till its finished!

i readd something about the tower greg parker proposed next to johnson square that he didnt do it because of parking. this new parking garage is like a block from there, and it is one of the few high rise zoned areas in the city. what do yall think the chances are the might build something there now?

Well, Im sure Parker is still got that site in the back on his mind, so he might have to consider going back down there, but really he seems to busy with other developments, like the new office space he has developed n Richmond Hill, have you see that? he has spent something like 14-18 million on the total project..... also his new parker gas stations are very nice... like the one on abercorn and on victory drive.......... if I was a betting man, id say someone else will come in and develop the site... I didnt get when you said its zoned for highrise? explain it a little bit more, and if you - why is it zoned .. I thought the historic district was only to be kept to 5 ... but the new holiday inn express on bay is 8 stories plus the tower on top... so - so much for that.....

Well, Im sure Parker is still got that site in the back on his mind, so he might have to consider going back down there, but really he seems to busy with other developments, like the new office space he has developed n Richmond Hill, have you see that? he has spent something like 14-18 million on the total project..... also his new parker gas stations are very nice... like the one on abercorn and on victory drive.......... if I was a betting man, id say someone else will come in and develop the site... I didnt get when you said its zoned for highrise? explain it a little bit more, and if you - why is it zoned .. I thought the historic district was only to be kept to 5 ... but the new holiday inn express on bay is 8 stories plus the tower on top... so - so much for that.....

well my understanding from what i heard... which was a while ago, but i remember hearing that the zoning for it already allowed highrise and the only reason he didnt follow through was a lack of parking. however it was one of very few spaces in the historic distric allowing that.... it would seem silly for it not to considering there is a 15 story building right across the street lol

this right here is why i wanted it to resurface, it would be a new downtown tallest:

149297629-O.jpg

oh yeah, we need to look up Greg Parkers number... :rolleyes:

thats would be a great addition downtown, maybe he is waiting for ellis square and the parking situation to be done....?!?!?!? I guess we will find out soon

well it was a project back in 2004... he ended up renovating the buildings already there, but maybe now with ellis square, if someone, or alot of people were to suggest and push it????!!

hehehe

yes we should find greag parkers email or phone #, or just some way to contact him in general. i wonder if anyone here has connections to him?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived