Intercounty rail line is likely

mr.rwilson

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the pluses is that they have a local rail operator that, I think, is in possession of the rail. That has probably decreased the amount of red tape that much larger railroad companies come with.

Grand Rapids should take a cue and work at commuter light or heavy rail.

This was reported a few months back, and it's pretty much a done deal from what I hear.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...amp;hl=commuter

It took a freeway reconstruction, and all of the suburban sprawl of Livingston County to force this, but I guess this is better late than ever, and I hope the idea spreads like wildfire to get people more open to region-wide networks, and inter-city rail. I can't tell you how much I wish there was a high-speed line between Lansing and Metro Detroit, particularly going to the airport, at least. Maybe, this will jump start that study and proposal that's been going on for years, and perhaps, for once, our legislature will take more interest in alternate modes of public transit.

There are tracks that lead to the eight "perimeter" cities (Port Huron, Lapeer, Flint, Owosso, Lansing, Jackson, Adrian, and Toledo) from Downtown Detroit and I would like to see commuter trains on all eight of those routes (Ann Arbor is along the Jackson route). The Howell to Ann Arbor link is a start, but we'll need all eight routes eventually to have an effect commuter rail system.

i completely agree hudkina. i am excited that something is actually happning on this side of the state. with the manufacturing base moving away from the automobile maybe people will start to recogonize that public transit adds so much to an economy and the quality of life.

This articles, I found, seem rather pessimistic, but I'm with Ms. Bishop quoted in one of the articles: "I knew the basic plan, but I had no idea that it was as imminent as it is,'' Bishop said" I didn't know things were progression this fast.

I must say, the major hang-up is that these plans are beholden to the the wishes of the freight companies that own the lines. Perhaps, the success of these lines will convince the public that we need dedicated passenger lines.

Ann Arbor-Howell train not likely until '09, Hieftje says

Transit experts give update on rail plans

Rapid transit for Ann Arbor is a work in progress that could have a significant impact on the area, but the start dates for two local proposals remain uncertain.

http://www.mlive.com/news/annarbornews/ind....xml&coll=2

Ann Arbor-Detroit train delayed

With hopes of starting this summer, service likely is not going to happen until 2008

Early 2008 is probably the soonest a commuter rail service between Ann Arbor and Detroit could start, according to Carmine Palombo of the Southeast Michigan Council of Governments.

That's the latest in the nearly decade-long attempt to start such a service. Late last year, officials said the service had a chance of beginning sometime this summer.

http://www.mlive.com/news/annarbornews/ind....xml&coll=2

No doubt, any hang ups will be on the freight lines. I'm not worried so much about the track scheduling, but the reluctant behaviors on part of the freight owners, because of the liabilities.

Its great to see this conversation headlining the papers.

Yeah, the track scheduling is really something that we shouldn't fret about until we get past this primary blockade, and that's using these freight lines. I also agree that this headlining newspapers is a very good sign. We've never been closer to commuter rail than this, at least, since the 80's (i.e. SEMTA in Metro Detroit).

• 3 months later...

Archived