the reserve at savannah harbour

cocateho

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There was an article in the newspaper about a week or two telling about the slowness on Hutchingson Island. It told about how these type of developments were supposed to start a while, but still haven't. Notice the copyright is 2004 on that website So typical of Savannah. I guess it's better on Hutchingson Island than in Pooler where that huge movie theater and shopping center was apparently "cancelled".(versus a delay on Hutchingson Island)

you know what hutchinson island could use?

A) major performing arts center/ concert hall

B) a big mall. and not like savannah mall. what i mean is (and i have visioned this for awhile) a 20 - 25 story building with a big base so that on the first floor you could fit like a starcastle sort of thing, but for downtown kids but it would the skating rink and laser tag and all. thhen have a second section of like two stories and almost as big of an area that could be a savannah/ georgia history museum. and then the rest would be a tower that went up 15 - 20 stories and a main lobby that went all the way to the roof and had glass on the front side and on the inward side would be balconies from the shops. i did som thinking and i think savannah could benifit from that, but maybe only if the mall had chain stores, so that the locally owned stuff would still be downtown and still be part of the attraction.

welll anyway ive had those ideas running though my head for a long time so tell me what you think.

As a teenager(I'm 17), I believe it's an awesome, but idealistic plan. Sounds sort of high-end to me. We probably couldn't have something like that for the same reason we don't even have a Kohl's. No confidence in a large and solid customer base, not to mention big old Oglethorpe Mall being its competition on the highly populated and commercialized southside. Also, we can't even get a mall built in the fast growing suburbs on the westside. What makes you think someone would build such a center in the downtown area? Not to mention going over Talmage Bridge may be to the inconvenience of many potential customers. I don't think "that" many people go there for simple leisure as it is. People may be in favor of the status quo and stick to the 2 original malls.(I'm almost to the point where I think the Savannah Mall should shut down. Even with Target, it remains a bit decadent) The plan is conceptionally awesome but realistically improbable. Sorry for only breaking down my version of reality, but after living in this town for a good chunk of life, I witness the same cycle of slowness over and over again. The westside of Chatham County has lots of residential development. I believe there are a couple of small strip malls from here to there, but I believe that's it. It would help if the commercial development matched the residential development. I mean, by now, they should have a bowling alley, a movie theater, and a major shopping center(which Pooler was supposed to, but obviously the developing company backed out) or appliance store besides Wal Mart and Sams. It would be nice if the Savannah area had another Best Buy.

Oh, and thanks to the allusion of StarCastle. I personally don't like them because they are taking advantage of their monopoly as the only skating rink/ family entertainment center in town by having someone rediculous prices at times. I don't mean to sound ghetto or anything, but I miss the rink near Victory Drive and I also miss that huge GALAXY Laser Tag(exactly on Victory Drive) and Arcade. These were the days when Savannah was actually fun for people my age and less, and for a decent price too. Now they have even shut down teen clubs and raised the "clubbing" age to 21. There is really no theme oriented entertainment left. I've been to Five Star once and it can use improvements. I mean, for one, the building is like a metal barn in the midst of fairly new looking, brick buildings. Also, the arcade is rather weak. I suppose its strengths are its outdoor activities.

I'm sorry about ranting, but I feel strongly about some of the things I see in this area, especially having to live here as a teen. We can't even have a waterpark.(one which was proposed in Richmond Hill, but fell through because of 2 residents unwilling to move). Such a thing could have benefitted all of Savannah metro, but oh well.

The funny thing is now Pooler finally is ready for major development, they were waiting on more "rooftops", I was talking to a development company, and they are telling me - Savannah's 2nd Best Buy is coming on Pooler Parkway, and they plan to break ground in 08' and have the stores up and ready by 09...

Also, since I live in the westside, I already see the development of the tract that Edens & Avant purchased on Pooler Parkway, they are starting to create the spine road to lead to the site, if you guys remember - they purchased 35 acres and have an option for 145 more. (for those who do not know, these guys developed Abercorn Walk)

And plans call for a proposed Kohl's, Dillards, Publix..etc

The funny thing is now Pooler finally is ready for major development, they were waiting on more "rooftops", I was talking to a development company, and they are telling me - Savannah's 2nd Best Buy is coming on Pooler Parkway, and they plan to break ground in 08' and have the stores up and ready by 09...

Also, since I live in the westside, I already see the development of the tract that Edens & Avant purchased on Pooler Parkway, they are starting to create the spine road to lead to the site, if you guys remember - they purchased 35 acres and have an option for 145 more. (for those who do not know, these guys developed Abercorn Walk)

And plans call for a proposed Kohl's, Dillards, Publix..etc

Archived