Tallahassee: A new retirement Mecca?

gatoremt

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? I see lots of reasons especially for those that enjoy the resources of FSU/FAMU and want a slower pace. Many of the midwest folks from small towns would prefer this area to a heavily urbanized area. Not all retirees want to live around the beach or the mouse. :)

However I never really put much stock or faith in these random Best Place to________ polls done each year.

Uh, athletic events, concerts, ballet, etc. I understand that you'd not prefer to retire here, but others may?? For me, I'd never retire anywhere south of G'ville and just go ahead and shoot me point blank in the face before making me retire in the Stepford Hell that is The Villages....scary! :)

:lol: I guess there are a few things for some people to do here. Just not much that I am interested in other than college baseball. I am like you I would not want to be much further south than g'ville. I would rather retire to the mountains in Tenn. or NC. IMO Oh well that is why we all are able to make our own choices here. The villages is full of STD's. All those old folks spreading things around down there.

"I just dont see any reason why someone would retire to the Tally area. Other than the houses are cheaper here than in south Fl. "

I have so many friends from College (FSU) who are planning to come back to retire in Tally.

They love Tally. You can go to FSU sporting events year around (Football, baseball, basketball, olympic sports, etc), FSU social events, the arts, nice relaxed pace by comparison to some places (most in Miami don't really like it for example). There are so many more reasons to retire in Tally, but the folks I know for example point to FSU. It is a national trend that folks are retiring where they went to college. They have built retirement homes catering to this at FSU, UF, and many more.

Honestly, when you are 70 years old....do you really care about the mountains? You are statistically not likely to enjoy them beyond looking at them. More to the point, if you will run through your retirement funds so fast it isn't funny. Most nice mountain areas/resorts are so expensive to leave at you would have to have about $5-$10 Million in the bank to retire there. I am in my mid 30s, have saved for retirement since I was in my early 20s, and have done well career wise and I will be lucky to have half of that.

"Thanks for sharing that stjoe! FSU's page is so classy compared to that other school. "

Funny thing about that is, I think they were both developed by the same company.

UF has also turned their project (which is farther ahead of FSU's) into donations for the school.

These are great projects for the school's and communities.

Honestly, when you are 70 years old....do you really care about the mountains? You are statistically not likely to enjoy them beyond looking at them. More to the point, if you will run through your retirement funds so fast it isn't funny. Most nice mountain areas/resorts are so expensive to leave at you would have to have about $5-$10 Million in the bank to retire there. I am in my mid 30s, have saved for retirement since I was in my early 20s, and have done well career wise and I will be lucky to have half of that.

I would really love to be in the mountains at the age of 50 when I retire. I have no choice but to be retired by 57. And where I have looked I would not need 5-10 million in the bank to live there. I am looking at Tennessee or NC not Aspen, Co. :lol: I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Like I said other than FSU sports, I dont see much else to do here. I am not into the arts and FSU social events. Oh well

:lol: That is very true. Different strokes for different folks. i guess if I had not spent most of my life in this area, I might would want to retire here. I just have different plans for me. It is also good that we are able to choose what we like and dont like. It would suck if we all had to retire to the same spot. Man that would be bad.

There was an article about this today on the front page of the "Democrat." I think it depends on what you're looking for. For the "townhall events" type seniors, this would be a great place to retire. However, for the active seniors, I dont think Tallahassee has the appeal some other towns do. This town is lacking in quality golf courses. And a lot of active seniors get up in the morning soley for their 7:30 tee time. If Tallahassee could add a few higher quality courses (along the lines of Golden Eagle), then I think it would be much more attractive overall.

There was an article about this today on the front page of the "Democrat." I think it depends on what you're looking for. For the "townhall events" type seniors, this would be a great place to retire. However, for the active seniors, I dont think Tallahassee has the appeal some other towns do. This town is lacking in quality golf courses. And a lot of active seniors get up in the morning soley for their 7:30 tee time. If Tallahassee could add a few higher quality courses (along the lines of Golden Eagle), then I think it would be much more attractive overall.

I think in terms of value of place, Tallahassee offers much more than many of us have given her credit for. Consider the safety factor. For a major Florida city we're probably the safest. Public spaces are ample, and sidewalks plenty. There is a nice relationship between civilizaion and the natural environment which I think the elderly would also appreciate. Also, neighborhoods here have the atmosphere preferred by many seeking to downsize, while maintaining the ammenities they desire at older ages, such as adequate yard space for recreation and gardening, privacy, and low noise levels.

Please note: I'm speaking of Residential areas of Tallahassee, not those common to college students.

Not to mention, for so-called active seniors, Tallahassee has several scenic routes to and from many nearby tourist destinations. This is a place where they can LIVE and not be too far from areas where they may like to VACATION.

Archived