Midtown Atlanta District Developments

ironchapman

Midtown scores again.

Germany's RIB Software to relocate North American HQ to Technology Square. The company will not only partner in development of the High Performance Computing Center but could take 100,000 SF of office space.

http://m.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/atlantech/2015/01/germanys-rib-software-to-relocate-north-american.html

Edited by Martinman

Someone stole my idea and made a great map of the projects in Midtown, south of 10th street. :)   This area is quickly becoming the densest part of Midtown. 

1. Square on 5th - 230 unit residential
  2. University House - 267 unit residential
  3. Modera Midtown - 350 unit residential
  4. NCR Headquarters - > 500,000 SF office
  5. Georgia Tech HPCC - 600,000 SF office
  6. 33 Peachtree Place - 350 unit residential
  7. 880 West Peachtree - 356 unit residential
  8. 782 Peacthree - 294 unit residential
  9. Seventh Midtown - 20 unit residential
  10. Eviva Peachtree - 391 unit residential
  11. Broadstone Terraces - 218 unit residential

cXFlx0.jpg

Edited by Martinman
  • Like 1

Great picture Martinman. It puts all of the development south of 10th Street and north of 4th Street into perspective. I love watching these projects go from proposal to actual construction.

In other development news....

Leventhal's 25-story apartment tower breaks ground.

Officially called Yoo on the Park, developers officially broke ground on the newest addition to Midtown Atlanta's burgeoning skyline. Located at 207 13th Street, the 245 unit Yoo on the Park will be steps from Piedmont Park and only a couple of blocks from the growing Midtown Mile retail corridor. A ceremonial ground breaking will take place on February 18th at 11am. .

In Atlanta, the partnership's 245-unit YOO on the Park will rise at 207 13th Street, between Juniper Street and Piedmont Avenue. The project broke ground Feb. 9. A formal ceremony launching the project is scheduled next week.

Yoo on the Park units will range from about 880 square feet up to almost 2,000 square feet, and monthly rents will start at about $1,600 and approach $4,000.

The project is slated to begin pre-leasing in the spring of 2016.

With the start of this project, there could be three residential buildings under construction at the same time along Piedmont Park's western border between 11th and 13th Streets. For reference purposes, the three towers would be the 22-story Alta on the Park (220 units), 24-story Azure on the Park (327 units) and Yoo on the Park. There are so many towers under construction in Midtown that I have lost count

Several thousand units are in the Midtown and downtown Atlanta development pipeline. That development pipeline is being closely watched by analysts and lenders, though concerns about overbuilding might be lessened by the relocation of companies such as WorldPay Group Inc., NCR Corp. and athenahealth, which combined would add more than 4,000 jobs to Midtown.

Read more here: http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2015/02/developer-scott-leventhals-25-story-midtown-tower.html

New permitting Update:

Broadstone Terraces (811 Juniper) has been submitted for land disturbance permit. 

1010 West Peachtree has been submitted for land disturbance permit. 

Modera (90 Peachtree Place) has been submitted for land disturbance permit. 

996 more units put in the permitting stage in the last 2 weeks!

They are going to fit that hotel on this small lot....

This proposal is catty-corner from the proposed Amli Arts Center apartment tower and across 15th Street from the Arts Center MARTA station. While the integrated parking deck needs a little more work, I think it is a decent proposal. The more density, the better. 

The newest rendering looks a bit better:

WH91Ud.png

New renderings of the base of 33 Peachtree looks pretty nice:

iC85tO.pngKbqWJg.png

Edited by Kh9142

• 1 month later...

Interesting and exciting tidbit:

Atlanta's largest Whole Foods Marketcould come to the site of a planned residential tower in Midtown Atlanta. Austin, Texas-based Whole Foods Market Inc. (NASDAQ: WFM) is in talks with Miami's The Related Group for a roughly 60,000-square-foot store.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/peachtree-plate/2015/03/whole-foods-looks-to-open-flagship-store-in.html?full=true

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone happen to know or where to direct me to find out which of the proposed development will be for sale vs. lease? Also, anyone know the price points of each of the developments?  

Thank you,

Meredith

Only 4 of the proposed or under construction developments in Midtown is for sale.  There are three small condo developments under construction right now and they are all pricey.   Ansley Green ($700's), Seventh Midtown (from the $700's),   One Museum Place (from $900,000).  The proposed Alta at the Park is planning to do condos and will likely start at a lower price point. I know it says apartments on the image but the developer has stated the intention to do condos since the project was announced.  We are more likely to see some the completed developments convert from for lease to for sale at some point. Thus far the only building to convert to condos is The Atlantic

alta-at-the-park---slide.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Any updates on 811 Peachtree Eviva?  Looks like a an open records request was recently filed.  I heard since the arborist plan was approved that this one is likely a "go"...? 

Last I heard from other boards, it's definitely a go but due to an easement dispute with 805 Peachtree, they were redesigning the building slightly to be skinnier and taller-- maybe 45 stories and possibly even including some office space. 

• 4 weeks later...

Another new project to go before the Midtown DRC board tonight 5/19.

NEW APPLICATION: Peachtree at 17th Street

Planned as a new mixed-use project on the northeast corner where three existing
commercial buildings and a ‘pocket park’ currently exist. The new development will
include two buildings:

• 190,000 sf Office Building with 11,000 sf of street level retail and structured
    parking for 650 cars
  • Residential/Hotel tower with approximately 206 luxury apartment units and 140 hotel guestrooms, along with various amenity spaces and a street level retail café on the corner of 17th Street

Another new project to go before the Midtown DRC board tonight 5/19.

NEW APPLICATION: Peachtree at 17th Street

Planned as a new mixed-use project on the northeast corner where three existing

commercial buildings and a ‘pocket park’ currently exist. The new development will

include two buildings:

• 190,000 sf Office Building with 11,000 sf of street level retail and structured

parking for 650 cars

• Residential/Hotel tower with approximately 206 luxury apartment units and 140 hotel guestrooms, along with various amenity spaces and a street level retail café on the corner of 17th Street

peachtree-17th-new.jpg

Supposedly 45 stories, with some rather large residential units (1,500-5,000 square feet). Should really help to begin the connection of the skyline.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2015/05/georgia-tech-portman-seek-economic-incentives-for.html

Georgia Tech and Atlanta developer Portman Holdings LLC are asking for economic development incentives to build up to a $360 million project in Midtown’s Technology Square.

Portman Holdings this week led a presentation to the Development Authority of Fulton County, where it released new renderings of the project (Click the photo to view the slideshow).

The project would include 620,000 square feet of office space, 100,000 square feet of data center space and 46,000 square feet of retail. Portman Holdings is developing the project with QTS Realty Trust Inc., a company that has two data centers in metro Atlanta totaling more than 1 million square feet.

this-is-tech-square-1.jpg

tech-3.jpg

this-is-tech-square-3.jpg

Not what I was expecting... I don't hate it, but I'm not in love with it either. Be interesting to see how the design evolves. 

Not what I was expecting... I don't hate it, but I'm not in love with it either. Be interesting to see how the design evolves. 

Let's hope the design does evolve because this strikes me as too much like what Portman built downtown in the 80's & 90's in terms of the ground level.  The towers are ok.  I do like the tower facing West Peachtree minus the completely random protruding boxes. 

Edited by Martinman

Thank you Martinman and Kh9142 for keeping up with ALL that is going on.

11262399_453491668162325_851957960113722

I was reading another site and I came across this interesting bit of information from a contributor on that forum regarding the Midtown District.

Here are the development stats for Midtown:

Under Construction (including projects doing site prep)

• 7 Towers
  • 3,098 Residential Units
  • 101,000 SF retail

Proposed

• 20 Towers
  • 5,331 Residential Units
  • 231,000 SF retail
  • 1.5 million SF office space
  • 762 Hotel rooms

That's just for the Midtown District alone. This doesn't include Buckhead, Downtown or the Perimeter Center. Based on the absorption rate of the recently completed projects, even the numbers of units above may not be enough for this fast growing district. Not only is it picking up in residential but it also appears that office is gaining steam as well. 

Also, it looks like the new Whole Foods on 14th Street will be quite large at 72,000 sq ft. The proposal will be discussed at the upcoming Midtown's Development Review Committee on Tuesday, June, 09th. With so many residential units coming to fruition, this will be quite the necessity for this area.

midtown-lot-bs2600xx2456-3684-0-0750xx60

Location of the proposed Whole Foods AND twin residential towers by Related Group.

Read more here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/peachtree-plate/2015/06/midtown-closer-to-landing-organic-grocery-store.html

Edited by Lady Celeste

NCR's move to Midtown defined...

The $260 million headquarters for NCR, the software company that is moving from Duluth to the Georgia Tech area, is the first step in a grander plan to create a “Silicon Valley of the East,” CEO Bill Nuti said Monday.

In an exclusive interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Nuti said creating a hub for about 4,000 technology workers in Atlanta is a “bold, ambitious” move, but that he is committed to ways to help keep more graduates — and their high-paying jobs — local. Nuti said about half of Georgia Tech’s engineering graduates leave the state for jobs in northern California, Boston, Austin, Seattle and elsewhere. Within five years, he expects another major tech company to put its headquarters in Midtown. Nuti also said he is “actively advocating” with other CEOs for the establishment of nearby innovation labs. “We think we can convince other companies in technology to join us,” he said.

NCR’s own offices will have the high-tech feel of headquarters like Google, Nuti said. He said the company wants to build its new campus with a storefront setting with glass walls where Tech students passing by can see engineers at work.

“We want students to say, ‘I want to work there,’” Nuti said. “Our campus will be a recruitment engine.”

While I think calling the area "Silicon Valley of the East" is a bit contrite, I think it is wonderful to see a corporate citizen like NCR bullish on making Midtown influential in the tech industry. This is great news.

Story behind the paywall:
http://www.myajc.com/news/business/n...ast-nex/nmYYR/

Also, it looks like the new Whole Foods on 14th Street will be quite large at 72,000 sq ft. The proposal will be discussed at the upcoming Midtown's Development Review Committee on Tuesday, June, 09th. With so many residential units coming to fruition, this will be quite the necessity for this area.

Location of the proposed Whole Foods AND twin residential towers by Related Group.

Read more here:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/blog/peachtree-plate/2015/06/midtown-closer-to-landing-organic-grocery-store.html

For the Whole Foods:

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/real_talk/2015/06/proposed-midtown-organic-foods-market-aka-whole.html

I don't see anything that says that the rumored second tower by Related couldn't still be planned for over the whole foods in the future. 

Whole Foods Market Inc. wants to put a flagship store next to a planned Midtown residential tower, a 72,000-square-foot location that might include a brew pub and cooking school.

whole-foods-midtown-copy.jpgskmbtc36015061009251-copy.jpgskmbtc36015061009250-copy.jpg

Edited by Kh9142

Here are the development stats for Midtown:

Under Construction (including projects doing site prep)

• 7 Towers
  • 3,098 Residential Units
  • 101,000 SF retail

Proposed

• 20 Towers
  • 5,331 Residential Units
  • 231,000 SF retail
  • 1.5 million SF office space
  • 762 Hotel rooms

That's just for the Midtown District alone. This doesn't include Buckhead, Downtown or the Perimeter Center. Based on the absorption rate of the recently completed projects, even the numbers of units above may not be enough for this fast growing district. Not only is it picking up in residential but it also appears that office is gaining steam as well. 

Midtown is CALIENTE right now.  They already have to update those stats since Modera Midtown broke ground yesterday.  

Edited by Martinman

The billboard on the parking lot at the northeast corner of Peachtree and 7th Street (next to Bulldogs) has been removed and the lot has just been sold... rumors have a tower being announced here soon. 

Exciting times!

I anxiously await the announcement. There is just so much going on within the city limits of Atlanta from economic announcements to development/construction that it can become a full time job just keeping up with it all.

Construction within one square mile of Midtown 

I wanted to put into perspective the volume of construction going on in just a small area. I'm not adding proposals. I chose a > square mile area bound by 14th Street to the north and 4th St to the south and Williams Street to the west and Piedmont Avenue to the east. 

Yoo on the Park 

yoo-on-the-park.png

RSKnCTsl.jpg

782 Peachtree

782-peachtree-jlb-partners_small.jpg

6PallLo.jpg

1010 West Peachtree 

1010-w-peachtree-st.jpg

7gmoTgh.jpg

60 11th Street

60-11th-st-small.jpg

NfKrzyc.jpg