Historic homes downtown

krazeeboi

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, that one is new, but it mimics a historic style and it's pretty contextual architecturally speaking. My bad! :D

Actually, I'm not sure if any of these houses are residential. You're right, most of them serve as offices now.

I would LOVE to see the Blanding House restored. I hope it happens soon.

I'd have to say that my favorite of those is definately the Debruhl-Marshall House. :camera: If someone wants to build me a dublicate and give it to me I would be most appreciative! :silly: And I know that his is out of the :whistling: city area...(currently), but there is a home in Wildewood subdivision that is an example of the historic style of SC. I wish I had a pic now to post, ill attempt to obtain one. But its a grand 3 or 4 story brick home with a golden tone and black paint accents. :D

I think there should be a downtown development consisting of nothing but homes that are achitectually representative of those houses listed in this forum. :camera: Big, and colonial. Old style with all the new amenities. I don't feel that it particularly needs the addition of mix use and condos and all that crap, just a plain ole area with houses. :stop:

I guess the closest to this is arsenal hill and that other area whose name i cant recall at this time. But they still dont give me the grandeur :shok: that the historic homes (now law offices) give me. :dontknow:

As long as modern doesn't mean "McMansion" (which is what people are building in neighborhoods like these), then I am ok with that.

Arsenal Hill is the oldest neighborhood in Columbia from what I understand. I'm not sure how many of the old homes are still there or not other than the Governor's mansion.

McMansions in an of themselves are not bad. Its the fact that they are built in neighborhoods like this one and are always terribly out of style and character with the surrounding neighborhood. They overpower the houses around them due to the fact that they take up most of the lot they are on

As long as modern doesn't mean "McMansion" (which is what people are building in neighborhoods like these), then I am ok with that.

Arsenal Hill is the oldest neighborhood in Columbia from what I understand. I'm not sure how many of the old homes are still there or not other than the Governor's mansion.

Archived