Life in downtown Memphis

tnse

Came across this blog by a downtown Memphis resident. I thought it was interesting and it might be enjoyable for those here. Granted, not everyone is going to live that type of lifestyle. We all come from different walks of life and that is part of the diversity of Memphis. But how many of you have ever seen this blog? I think it is helpful because he does give insight to a lot of happenings downtown including development. Maybe he should be a participant in this foum too to give his opinion on some of the topics we discuss about the Memphis area. He also is involved in another blog that involves downtown called Residents for a safer downtown. Anyway, here it the link:

http://www.paulryburn.com/blog/

By the way, a little off topic there (and maybe it depends it's own topic heading) but I saw that there is a move to improve security in teh Beale area. Anyone want to comment on that?

http://wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6084238

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

What are you talking about, I bet you have never been to downtown Memphis before. Also you sounded like a redneck the way you stated yourself. This is a positive forum. You will not see me coming on the Atlanta thread and putting down your city. It not needed, and these forums are great ways for us to talk positive about the cities we love.

I'm going with Atlantakid is using the skylines of the two cities as a determinate. Yes, Nashville has a more impressive skyline. Nashville's downtown is also more centrally located within it's metropolitan area, but Memphis has far more people living in it's central district. The two cities are different and each have their own positives. Having more people live downtown means that it doesn't become a total ghost town when the five o'clock bell hits. Do I think that Memphis will ever compete with Nashville in skyscrapers, No. The business center is located further east closer to the center of population. There is no real market for new office space that would allow for such building. Do I think that Memphis' downtown can become a vibrant population center and tourist area. It already is and is becoming more so. Do I think that it has no problems, No. It does have some problems, but I would challenge you to come up with any city that doesn't.

Archived