favorite Parts of the City

313City

:wub: Ok, now the City of Detroit in terms of Landscape and in a smaller sense population is a huge city. There are many neighborhood and historical areas that can be just lovable. Which one is you're favorite.

I like the Midtown, Downtown, and Much of the Eastside of Detroit.

-I like the Midtown becuase of the rich history that is bestowed within those (roughly 3 miles) surrounding Woodward Avenue from Warren to Downtown. It has some of the best historical architecture in the city. Also, it still has the downtown feel in it, even though were really not in "downtown proper". Most of all, it would have to be the great gems such as CT, the Masonic Temple, DMC, and WSU. DMC is one of the best regional hospital complexes in the nation. WSU is a great Educational site just waiting for bloom. Also, CT is one of the best DPS schools and one of the best alone in the country. Mos tof all, it's Cass Park and the Masonic temple. I love the nice city design out into the areas surrounding Cass Park (The fomer S.S. Kresges building included), and how it blends in well with the city's landscape. Also, the Masonic Temple is also one of the most beautifally designed theaters in the coutry (if not world).

-I like Downtown because it's downtown. I love how on its own (unlike other cities), made a big turn around, with just a bit of help from Sports Venues. It shows you that a city as great as ours doesn't need a World Wide event to stay alive. I like the design of all the buildings down there. However, What I like most of all about Downtown Detroit is that it has Culture. This is a part of the city where everyone can come together and have a good time no matter what.

-Most of all, I am a full-blown eastsider. I like all the gems we have over here too, (in some cases, world class gems). We have the only Soda Pop factory with over 15 flavors on the market as we speak. Also, we have the Potato Chip factory that has stuck with the city since it's beginnings, and continues to makes products that everyone can love. Also, I love most of all how we have the Potential, the Coleman A. young Municipal Airport. Land from what I can see is beginning to become valuable around the airport, and several tenants have attempted to open a terminal inside the Airport. Also, we have many lovable areas, such as Morningside and Indian village, which can't compare to the NW side when it comes to the trajectory to the water and the Great BalDuck Park.

so these are SOME of my favorite areas around the city. However, feel free to state what are your favorite areas across this magnificant town.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite is/was Rivertown. It's the only part of the city that really had a dense village feel to it with multiple streets with retail and entertainment as opposed to the retail strip neighborhoods through much of the city with only one commercial thoroughfare. The steep riverbank also enhanced the village feel by kind of tucking it away from busy Jefferson Avenue.

I'm also a fan of New Center (and what it could become), and the North End mainly for sentimental reasons.

I love imagining what corridors like Dexter, Linwood and the lower Mile Roads use to be like.

One of my favorite things to do in the summer is tour around the west side neighborhoods, particularly the University District, Grandmont/Rosedale, and Rosedale Park. These types of hoods impress me most by their grand beauty, yet humble home structure size. The sophistication of the street grid and its enunciated aesthetic appeal. It seems almost impossible to build neighborhoods like this anymore, in fact it hasn't been done since its time. Of all the chaos that changed Detroit's neighborhoods over time, the middle-upper middle class of this style really says a lot about the ability of some neighborhoods to fight together as a community to sustain the quality of life. I can't ever imagine neighborhoods such as these ever going into despair.

I love imagining what corridors like Dexter, Linwood and the lower Mile Roads use to be like.

One of my favorite things to do in the summer is tour around the west side neighborhoods, particularly the University District, Grandmont/Rosedale, and Rosedale Park. These types of hoods impress me most by their grand beauty, yet humble home structure size. The sophistication of the street grid and its enunciated aesthetic appeal. It seems almost impossible to build neighborhoods like this anymore, in fact it hasn't been done since its time. Of all the chaos that changed Detroit's neighborhoods over time, the middle-upper middle class of this style really says a lot about the ability of some neighborhoods to fight together as a community to sustain the quality of life. I can't ever imagine neighborhoods such as these ever going into despair.

Indeed. Highland Park has so much potential. Another of my favorite places is the Palmer Park area along McNichols and the park itself. I had some friends from WSU who say they lived there when they first moved to Detroit (not fully aware of its dark recent history). I gather that the remaining popularity of that area died out just a few years ago because it was just too much to tolerate...at least according to the people that I've talked to. I, personally have never known it to be an option as an attractive place to live in Detroit because my own Detroit history doesn't go back far enough.

I see that area as a huge bridging project though between not only Detroit and HP, but the wealthy n.hood of the Palmer Park area. Highland Park's biggest obsticle is it needs employment. And by employment, I don't mean 5 McDonalds, 10 Wendy's, 36 wig stores, 129 liquor stores, and 51 gas stations.

GM SHOULD buy Chrysler and move it back to HP! Dieter Zieche wouldn't object.

Indeed. Highland Park has so much potential. Another of my favorite places is the Palmer Park area along McNichols and the park itself. I had some friends from WSU who say they lived there when they first moved to Detroit (not fully aware of its dark recent history). I gather that the remaining popularity of that area died out just a few years ago because it was just too much to tolerate...at least according to the people that I've talked to. I, personally have never known it to be an option as an attractive place to live in Detroit because my own Detroit history doesn't go back far enough.

I see that area as a huge bridging project though between not only Detroit and HP, but the wealthy n.hood of the Palmer Park area. Highland Park's biggest obsticle is it needs employment. And by employment, I don't mean 5 McDonalds, 10 Wendy's, 36 wig stores, 129 liquor stores, and 51 gas stations.

GM SHOULD buy Chrysler and move it back to HP! Dieter Zieche wouldn't object.

If they merged, I don't think Chrysler would get moved anywhere, their HQ is already everything they need. It would be really expensive to move, just for the sake of moving. Although I think it would be really cool if they moved.

In the movie batman returns (I think that's the one), the offices that the riddler worked at reminds me of the Chrysler HQ. It has this big hexagonal (?) shaped window that the riddler pushes someone out. I always think of that when I drive by there.

Archived