New Haven skyscraper scaled back

beerbeer

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just reading that. He makes some points and flubs some points. DeStefano definitely has no idea how to plan an urban city, but I fail to see how a tower, if designed correctly, cannot contribute immensely to the urban fabric. Maybe the City just picked a bad design (according to the author, not me). If designed correctly, there is no reason a tower cannot contribute more to a site than a smaller building.

Sounds like the author just doesn't like highrises. Haven't we read other similar articles from him in the past? Without seeing renderings or plans for any of the proposals, it is difficult to assess what he is saying about each. A tower simply by fact that it is a tower is not automatically bad. There is just as much chance that one will build a lowrise with poor relationships to the street. As far as human scale goes, I don't see how lowering a structure from 32 to 12 floors suddenly makes it "human scaled." How exactly does a human relate any differently to 12 stories than 32 or 62 for that matter? The wind argument is valid, but again, a 12 story building can create as much of a wind tunnel effect as a 32 story building. Proper wind studies should be done in either case.

Sounds like the author just doesn't like highrises. Haven't we read other similar articles from him in the past? Without seeing renderings or plans for any of the proposals, it is difficult to assess what he is saying about each. A tower simply by fact that it is a tower is not automatically bad. There is just as much chance that one will build a lowrise with poor relationships to the street. As far as human scale goes, I don't see how lowering a structure from 32 to 12 floors suddenly makes it "human scaled." How exactly does a human relate any differently to 12 stories than 32 or 62 for that matter? The wind argument is valid, but again, a 12 story building can create as much of a wind tunnel effect as a 32 story building. Proper wind studies should be done in either case.

The planned height would fit in ok with the rest of New Haven's towers. I'm in total agreement with you here, Cotuit. This guy is with the Brooking's Institute, but if you look further, he's a New Haven resident. I think he's trying to make his case for his home city to remain "small" and using his employment and it's prestige to try and accomplish his own goals. There is no reason a tower can't fit in well with a pedestrian theme....

Archived